Author Topic: Global Mythologies  (Read 25060 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Global Mythologies
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2021, 01:24:29 AM »
All of the wormwoods and nettles are dye plants, so may have been collected for those purposes? The wormwoods are also used in medicine, magic, brewing and as digestives and bitter tonics (not to mention being used in such products as vermouth and absinthe, which derive their names from local names for those plants. The European alpine or black wormwood, Artemisia genipi, is also a famous brewing herb.

Some members of the family are culinary herbs, notably tarragon and mugwort. I can remember my gran teaching me to add a sprig of mugwort to the water when cooking dried peas or beans, which was supposed to make them easier to digest and certainly improved the flavour.

The wormwoods are also used in veterinary medicine, and I have a low hedge of wormwood growing through the fence of my poultry yard so the birds may peck at it to control intestinal worms and other parasites, plus I add the dried plant to their bedding to repel fleas and lice, for which purpose it is also dried and added to the bedding of dogs and other livestock. When I lived on an old farm where the vegetable garden was only separated from a grazing field by a low fence, the sheep, cattle and horses that passed through it at various times all used to like to munch on the wormwood plant on my side of the fence, probably also for parasite control, the stuff tastes bitter.

And as I’m sure you know, all the wormwoods are used in cleansing and protective magic, and medicinally as vermifuges, febrifuges and digestive remedies for humans.

Lad’s Love, Artemisia abrotanum, has that name for the twofold reason that it was a popular ingredient in courtship bouquets and because young men used it as a local application to treat acne and to encourage their beards to grow, which young women of the time would have considered attractive.

Nettle is of course edible as well as yielding dyes and being used as a tea. I make nettle beer and sometimes if I have enough of the young tips, use them cooked in the same way as spinach. The plant is very rich in iron and other nutrients, and has medicinal uses as a tonic and diuretic. One old friend, who was a Northumbrian singer/songwriter and musician, used to ‘nettle her fingers’ every morning in her old age, by brushing her hands through her large bed of nettles. She came from an old farming family back in Europe, and said that it was something she learned from the old folk of her family back when she was a girl. However it worked, the practice allowed her to maintain enough mobility in her very gnarled and arthritic hands that she was able to keep playing her musical instruments until she died well into her 80s.

That is all I have time for at present, I have to do outside tasks until dark, but if you are curious I can tell you more about the uses and folklore of those other plants later.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2021, 02:59:12 PM »
by brushing her hands through her large bed of nettles.

I just hope it was a dryed nettle, otherwise ouch!
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

Róisín

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2021, 04:11:41 PM »
No, live nettles. It worked. She also ate them.

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »
OUCH!!!

Feya

• Blue-haired goblin with a shiny rock collection
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2021, 06:26:21 PM »
Over here nettles are commonly used in homemade hair treatment tonics and shampoos. They are also a key ingredient of traditional Easter stuffings (which are sometimes even baked just by itself, not inside poultry)! ^^
Native: CZ
Fluent: GB/US
Semi-capable: SK, PL, FR
Know some phrases: LAT, JP
Want to learn: SWE

Róisín

« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2021, 12:40:48 AM »
Yep, the reason it goes into the hair and fingernail treatments may have something to do with the plant’s high content of soluble and easily absorbed minerals, notably silica, potassium, calcium and iron.

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2021, 05:29:20 AM »
So I guess I've finally got here. Our native asians.

Tungus-Manchu group
Speaking about Russian Asia, by which I mean everything from Ural ridge to the border with Japan, it's important to know, that those culteres kept much more of their uniqueness, as Russians only made it that far by the XV century. And still not much can I tell you about belive systems here, as in all of those cultures paganism is giving way to shamanism and animism (which in their turn are mostly replaced by eastern orthodoxity).
I guess anyone from USA can find a lot of connection here, as those peoples are really close to Native Americans. Basicly our native Siberians are those who stay here, while the others gone to America on foot while it was still possible.

Aevenks
Spoiler: show

Aevenk epos - Nimngakan - is focused rather on heroes and animals than gods or other supernatural elements.
The creation myth have an interesting parralel with, drumrol... Kalevala! In this the one who grabed the earth from the deep of the lake was the frog. After wich it was shot dead by some malevolent deity, ahd it's corpse with the earth it holds - is now a world.
Common is belief in animal ancestors, such as deer, crow and bear. The only figure that can be somehow counted as Aevenk's god is the Polar star.
And now something really cool: siberian aborigines are possibly the only people on Earth, who's mythologies have a trace of mamoth aka earthen deer (Komi), surp-kazar (Selcups), muv-khor (Hunts), saly (Aevenks). There are more possible traces of megafauna, such as kvoli-kazar, kdr-balyk, yink-voy an the most known of them - monster of Oymyakon aka Lake Labynkyr monster.

Aevens

tbc
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:00:13 PM by Maglor »

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2021, 08:08:39 AM »
Oh, I was long searching for this pic, think it should stay here)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2021, 10:35:13 AM »
Well, I don't know if this is the right thread, but I do know that
a knife-wielding spider god is something my fellows want to know about!

https://gizmodo.com/archaeologists-find-3-000-year-old-mural-of-knife-wield-1846584071

Am I right? ;)

(on the other hand I just hope no one's slumber got disturbed by those nasty humans...)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society