Author Topic: Icelandic Learning Thread  (Read 24130 times)

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
Re: Icelandic Learning Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »
Það þýðir að ganga hljóðlaus: þau ganga hönd í hönd saman og þagna.

Þakka þér fyrir, Laufey! Ég lagði saman aðra spurningu, skilurðu það?
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
Þakka þér fyrir, Laufey! Ég lagði saman aðra spurningu, skilurðu það?
er blærinn kvað

Jámmm... sko... það er bara "það er vindur" sagt í mjög skáldlegan hátt! :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »
Jámmm... sko... það er bara "það er vindur" sagt í mjög skáldlegan hátt! :D

Takk aftur! Viola var að reyna að skýra það (við erum hérna til samans!) en ég skildi ekki....En já, núna skil ég.

(Viola: Hææææææææ hvað segir þú gott?)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 04:04:39 PM by ruth »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »
(Viola: Hææææææææ hvað segir þú gott?)

Pft hæee Viola, bara allt fínt er að borða kvöldmat og teikna mynd af Sigrúnu. ;D

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2015, 01:18:20 AM »
Guys, guys, guys! GUYS. THEY HAVE A BOOK ON WESTERN ICELANDIC AT MY UNI LIBRARY
THEY ALSO HAVE WESTERN ICELANDIC POETRY AND SHORT STOIRES *much squeeing ensues*

ALSO ALSO THIS BOOK COMPARING ICELANDIC AND FAROESE PHONOLOGY
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH *happy dance*

Be prepared for random language spams in the future! actually almost tearing up now so excited wow
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2015, 01:39:42 PM »
actually almost tearing up now so excited wow
<mikkel> [Locks book underneath a glass cover to shield it from the "tearing up" part] [Schedules turning the page over fortnightly] </mikkel>
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
Guys, guys, guys! GUYS. THEY HAVE A BOOK ON WESTERN ICELANDIC AT MY UNI LIBRARY
THEY ALSO HAVE WESTERN ICELANDIC POETRY AND SHORT STOIRES *much squeeing ensues*

ALSO ALSO THIS BOOK COMPARING ICELANDIC AND FAROESE PHONOLOGY

Be prepared for random language spams in the future! actually almost tearing up now so excited wow

Any idea what the deal is with tresvoltis?

(I always love going to a shopping shop, though.)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:05:17 PM by ruth »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »

I wanted to recommend something little for Icelandic learners - Skálmöld, especially their lyrics; this band uses the traditional meter which is no small feat. The song above is from their album Með Vættum and the video includes some images of Icelandic mythology. The album tells of the life of one person, Þórunn, who travels around the country and defends it against attacks from the sea, receiving help from the landvættir, Iceland's guardian spirits.

Other favourites by this band:

Narfi from Börn Loka.

Kvaðning from Baldur.

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Any Icelanders who can help me out?
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
Hi guys, I'm trying to translate parts of the Völuspá into Swedish and I'm having troubles with the 20:th verse, more specifically this line: er und þolli stendr.

I can't figure out what þolli means. Other translations of the verse tend to translate it as "that stands under the tree" so þolli would be 'tree', but dictionaries have gotten me 'resistance', 'stuck/clinging' and 'toll' as possible translations.  :V

The full verse:
Þaðan koma meyjar
margs vitandi
þrjár, ór þeim sal
er und þolli stendr;
Urð hétu eina,
aðra Verðandi,
skáru á skíði,
Skuld ina þriðju;
þær lög lögðu,
þær líf kuru
alda börnum,
örlög seggja.

Hrollo

• Ranger
Re: Any Icelanders who can help me out?
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »
Not Icelandic myself, but some research suggests þolli could actually be the dative of Icelandic þollur/Old Norse þollr, which in modern Icelandic means "thole" (a technical word for some kind of pins) but in Old-Norse is listed as having the meaning "fir-tree" (ultimately from a proto-germanic word meaning "beam").

http://skaldic.abdn.ac.uk/m.php?p=lemma&i=83879
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
Not Icelandic! As I understand, a thole or tholepin is a sort of a spike or long nail-like thing, similar to a trenail, specifically used in the building of wooden ships. Possibly the reference to wood is to Ask and Embla, the trees who were turned into the first humans to replace the humans of the old pre-apocalyptic world? Or could it be a reference to Mimir's Well, which stands among the roots of Yggdrasil, the World Tree? Fascinating poem!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
Not Icelandic! As I understand, a thole or tholepin is a sort of a spike or long nail-like thing, similar to a trenail, specifically used in the building of wooden ships. Possibly the reference to wood is to Ask and Embla, the trees who were turned into the first humans to replace the humans of the old pre-apocalyptic world? Or could it be a reference to Mimir's Well, which stands among the roots of Yggdrasil, the World Tree? Fascinating poem!

Ask and Embla were not trees in the Voluspá version of the creation myth, that's another saga. Their bodies were created by the dwarves (in turn created by the aesir) and then given soul by the gods, so it's likely not a reference to trees in that way.

Considering the context of the 20'th verse (especially verse 19 and both these verses coming right after the creation of Ask and Embla) I'm leaning towards verse 19 and 20 being a kenning about procreation where the well of urd = the womb and Yggdrasil = male sexual organ. The word 'thole' meaning a pole would certainly fit that.

Thanks!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »
Dunno, that's possible. The 'lingam and yoni', 'cup and sword' style of symbolism of procreation is widespread through many cultures.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
Dunno, that's possible. The 'lingam and yoni', 'cup and sword' style of symbolism of procreation is widespread through many cultures.

I don't know anything about those, but there's some stuff backing it up here.

Verse 19 and 20, my translation:

Ash/Ask I know standing*
Named Slippery One**
Tall and covered with white clay***
From there comes the dew
That falls in valleys
Evergreen
Over the source of fate.

(*The word for 'standing' is standa. Stånda is the word used in modern Swedish for the erection of a penis. Could be either or, but there are other words for standing that could've been used but weren't.
** Yggdrasil = ON for Odins horse. This tends to be translated as 'gallows' because Odin hung on the tree, but it could also be Sleipnir, which means 'slippery one'.
*** The word used is 'auri', which means something like wet/damp clay, sand or soil.
As for the white dew that falls in valleys I'll leave to your imagination, dear reader.)

From there comes three maidens
Much knowing
Three from the hall under the pole
Fate is the first,
The other is Being
Cutting in boards
Debt/future is the third.
They laid laws,
They selected life,
All children
were given their fates.

It's a riddle so I could be wrong and the answer might be something entirely difference in the context of that culture, but it wouldn't be that far of a stretch. Especially considering these two poems came right after the poems describing the creation of Ask and Embla by the dwarves, who seem to represent the different aspects/limitations of humanity if this translation is to be believed: http://freya.theladyofthelabyrinth.com/?page_id=21

If so, this would simply be the continuation of humanity. In the next verse, there are new names of what I presume are humans around.)

Either way, I've got my help so it's a bit of a case closed. I'd love to keep discussing old norse poetry but it should probably go in the language boards.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:46:54 PM by Fauna »

FireNope

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2024, 04:42:17 AM »
Hi, not that I'm about to try learning Icelandic, but I do have a few questions I hope fit in there :

Minna called Icelandic mages Seiðkarl and Seiðkona. There was also the word Seiður thrown in the mix, which I thought was a neutral-plural when speaking about several mages of indefinite or mixed gender.
Seems like it's not the case.

So : I'd like to know what is the difference between the tree above ( Is Seiður a neutral singular ?) and what are their plural ?
(from the first post in this thread there are two groups of words finishing in -ur, and they have different plural : -ir or -ar.)
Same with Galdrastafur ?
If this is all we'll have to eat from now on, I want you to shoot me.