Author Topic: Icelandic Learning Thread  (Read 24487 times)

daiseerose

Re: Icelandic Learning Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »
Æ sounds like saying "eye"
Ahh ok! Thanks! Sorry for asking so many questions!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »
Ahh ok! Thanks! Sorry for asking so many questions!

No it's fine! I am enjoying answering them! It's good for people to be curious about Icelandic and other languages :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2015, 11:31:31 AM »
I just like ð's and þ's.  ;D And I þink ðey're really fun to use in English, too  :P
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

daiseerose

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
I just like ð's and þ's.  ;D And I þink ðey're really fun to use in English, too  :P
How are those pronounced??

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »
How are those pronounced??

Þ is like the TH in three
Ð is like the TH in father
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2015, 04:00:30 PM »
The A is like the A in apple and the Á is like saying "ow"
The E sounds like the E in egg and the É sounds like the YE in YES
The I is pronounced short like the I in pick while the Í is pronounced like the EE in green
The O is pronounced like the O in hot while the Ó is pronounced like saying "oh"
The U is pronounced like kinda like the French U (sorry I don't know a good english word for this) and the Ú is pronounced like the OO in moon
Y is pronounced just like I and Ý is pronounced just like Í
Æ sounds like saying "eye"
Þ is like the TH in three
Ð is like the TH in father
Snarfed, thanks. ;) Would you happen to have a last guideline for the missing "Ö", too ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »
Snarfed, thanks. ;) Would you happen to have a last guideline for the missing "Ö", too ... ?

The Ö is another hard one to describe in terms of English. I've heard someone describe it as the U in murder but I'm not sure this fits. It sounds like the German Ö. How would you explain that in English?

Also the German Ü is a good fit for comparison to the Icelandic U. Better than the French U. Maybe change it to the German Ü for comparison, because according to IPA, that's more accurate.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:59:02 PM by Feartheviolas »

JoB

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2015, 05:17:40 PM »
The Ö is another hard one to describe in terms of English. I've heard someone describe it as the U in murder but I'm not sure this fits. It sounds like the German Ö. How would you explain that in English?
Not at all, if I can help it. :P And possibly "like the E in 'nerd'" otherwise - most of the difference in pronunciating "nerd" and "Nörd(linger Ries)" actually comes from the R IMHO.

Also the German Ü is a good fit for comparison to the Icelandic U. Better than the French U. Maybe change it to the German Ü for comparison, because according to IPA, that's more accurate.
Well, that's embarassing, considering that just today in the French thread, I told someone to pronounce fr-U like de-Ü ... :-[

... but thanks, I'll add/change as suggested.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
Well, that's embarassing, considering that just today in the French thread, I told someone to pronounce fr-U like de-Ü ... :-[

Æææ sorry. If it's any consolation they're still pretty close sounding (according to my limited knowledge of german)

And your use of nerd seems close enough. I'm gonna make a recording of the alphabet later, so maybe that will clear up a few things.

JoB

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »
Æææ sorry. If it's any consolation they're still pretty close sounding (according to my limited knowledge of german)
I would recommend LEO again if it weren't for the fact that I just tried "müßig" (idle) and found that I'm totally not OK with their pronunciation soundbite for that (the Lady makes the "Ü" sound way too short, if that came up in conversation, I'ld probably misunderstand it as "flüssig" (liquid)) ...

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »
Not at all, if I can help it. :P And possibly "like the E in 'nerd'" otherwise - most of the difference in pronunciating "nerd" and "Nörd(linger Ries)" actually comes from the R IMHO.

The trouble is more that ü covers more than one sound; to be fair, they're a closely related long-short pair, but the sounds are actually a little different. Consider the difference between müssen and über. The former, with its short ü sound [ʏ], is the sound of the short Icelandic u. But the long ü sound [yː] is most similar to the French u-sound.
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »
As I have mentioned before, Laufey runs a blog about Icelandic language and culture (which everyone should go read) and she's written some really interesting articles about speaking the language. Here are a few that she recommended:

A five step guide to rhythm (introduces the length of syllables and the rules that make vowels long or short).
Pre-aspiration (another one for voice patterns).
Drop it like it’s Ð, G, H, Þ or a vowel (unvoicing and dropping off letters).

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »

This thing has been making rounds lately on both the FB and Tumblr, and although the picture doesn't lie as such, it's not a traditional Icelandic lullaby. It's from the book Salka Valka by Laxness... but to be fair he was a great satirist and lyrics like the above would actually fit perfectly in with typical Icelandic lullabies (it probably has even been made into one). Sometimes I think Icelanders of old just neverminded the "getting the kids to sleep"-part and decided that silence in the house was the main goal and fastest achieved by making sure the little ones were holding their breath out of fear.

Bíum bíum bambaló (made rather famous by Sigur Rós) is a good example:

Bíum bíum bambaló, bambaló og dillidillidó
Vini mínum vagga ég í ró
En úti biður andlit á glugga.

Bíum bíum bambaló, bambaló and dillidillidó
I lull my friend to sleep
But outside waits a face at the window.

...yeaaah I wouldn't feel very sleepy after that. There's of course many explanations to what the face is - some people say it's the moon, some say it's the father of the child or a friend of the servant lulling the children to sleep, but going by Icelandic fairytales the things that usually look through your window are trolls looking for a meal. When asked about the creepiest Icelandic lullaby Bíum bíum bambaló tends to be mentioned among the first ones.

Heiðlóarkvæði (= The Golden Plover Poem) is not exactly a lullaby but illustrates well how Icelandic poetry (and often the melody of the song as well) fools you into thinking everything's fine, only to punch you in the teeth at the last lines: the golden plover is singing midair and everything's just great and wonderful except the end:

Lóan heim úr lofti flaug,
ljómaði sól um himinbaug,
blómi grær á grundu, -
til að annast unga smá.
- Alla étið hafði þá
hrafn fyrir hálfri stundu.

The plover flew home, sun shining brightly, flowers everywhere -
to tend to the little ones. - They all had been gobbled up by a raven. (a very free form translation btw)

And then there's lullabies that don't sound so bad, but wait until you hear the story behind them:

Móðir mín í kví kví

Móðir mín í kví, kví, kvíddú ekki því, því
Ég skal ljá þér duluna mína, duluna mína að dansa í.

My mother in the sheep pen, don't fret,
I will lend you my rags, for you to dance in.

A servant woman had secretly given birth to a child, wrapped it in rags and abandoned it outside to die (in the old times being pregnant out of wedlock was a crime worth death penalty, if you visit Þingvellir you can see the place where the sentences were carried out). Later on as she and another servant woman were milking sheep she mentioned the oncoming dances and how she didn't have any suitable clothes to wear, and as a reply a child's voice sang the above song from under the sheep pen...

And of course there's also Sofðu unga ástin mín (= sleep my little love) that's just a cute lullaby originating in a theatre play, except that the original singer Halla threw her child to Barnafoss waterfall right after singing it. To be fair though that's hopefully just a dramatized version for the play, although it is based on real people - Fjalla-Eyvindur and his wife Halla - who were outlaws. They did have children but according to church records only one of them actually survived to adulthood.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »
Hæ öll!

Ég er með spurningu um þennan texta: Við gengum tvö. Það er tvær setningar sem ég skil ekki. Fyrstu lagi, hvað þýðir 'við leiddumst hljóð'? Orðabókin segir að bara "við leiddumst" þýðir "we go hand in hand" en ég skil ekki hvernig það gengur með "hljóð". Öðru lagi, skil ég líka ekki "er blærinn kvað". Ég veit hvað þessi orð þýða, en ekki hvað þau þýða sem orðasamband. Get einhver hérna hjálpað mér?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:51:54 PM by ruth »
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
Hæ öll!

Ég er með spurningu um þennan texta: Við gengum tvö. Það er tvær setningar sem ég skil ekki. Fyrst, hvað þýðir 'við leiddumst hljóð'? Orðabókin segir að bara "við leiddumst" þýðir "we go hand in hand" en ég skil ekki hvernig það gengur með "hljóð". Get einhver hérna hjálpað mér?

Það þýðir að ganga hljóðlaus: þau ganga hönd í hönd saman og þagna.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: