Author Topic: Laufey's Sagas and Kalevala Thread  (Read 14655 times)

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Laufey's Sagas and Kalevala Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2021, 04:33:04 PM »

I've always thought it a little funny that owls in general have such contradictory stereotypes in Finland: on one hand they're considered wise shamans and knowledgeable beyond this world, yet calling someone an owl means you're calling them stupid. I have no idea how this works.

As I understand it, Wise owl originates from Greco-Roman mythology (Athena/Minerva) while Finnish mythology considered owls stupid. Both at the same time? Stay up all night and you may end up learning loads but also making stupid decisions due to sleep-deprivation.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

ladykatytrent

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2021, 01:43:00 PM »
As I understand it, Wise owl originates from Greco-Roman mythology (Athena/Minerva) while Finnish mythology considered owls stupid. Both at the same time? Stay up all night and you may end up learning loads but also making stupid decisions due to sleep-deprivation.

I like that, a lot. I'm new to the world of Finnish mythology - I just started studying the language because a) I love the way it sounds b) I've been into a Finnish game company called Remedy and c) I really want to read the Kalevala in English. And, concurrently, I discovered SSSS.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2021, 09:46:05 PM »
You might try visiting Project Gutenberg, an online free and legal internet library of important books, many of which are otherwise out of print. I can’t recommend one particular translation, maybe Laufey or Mikko might have a suggestion there?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!