Author Topic: Laufey's Sagas and Kalevala Thread  (Read 14656 times)

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
Re: Laufey's Sagas and Kalevala Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 06:07:38 AM »
Comparing all the translations and the original is really interesting. Especially it made me wonder what "päällispanka" actually is since every translator seems to have had a different idea about it. It's an old word and also dialect (probably East Finnish, but you never know with the old runo since some of them have pereserved old West Finnish words in East Finland), so not something that is used in modern language.

Since according to different web sources panka/pankka means a handle as well as a bird's breast or wing or a human's shoulder, I guess it refers generally to something rounded and curved. Päällis on the other hand refers to something worn "outside", "over" on "on the head". The combination of these makes me wonder if päällispanka is the same thing as an ornament nowadays known as sykerö, a silver mesh tube that East Finnish women seem to have worn on their heads in the viking era (number 4. in the second photo, Muinas-Karjalan puku, on the linked web page).
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »
And hey! You're my nearest neighbor on the fandom map! *Waves from Winchester, VA*

Cool! We could meet up sometime!

Since according to different web sources panka/pankka means a handle as well as a bird's breast or wing or a human's shoulder, I guess it refers generally to something rounded and curved. Päällis on the other hand refers to something worn "outside", "over" on "on the head". The combination of these makes me wonder if päällispanka is the same thing as an ornament nowadays known as sykerö, a silver mesh tube that East Finnish women seem to have worn on their heads in the viking era (number 4. in the second photo, Muinas-Karjalan puku, on the linked web page).

Oh wow, how interesting! What are the different outfits on that page? Also, was the sykerö worn by all women? I was just thinking the veil on that woman seemed to denote married status, since uncovered braided heads seem to be unmarried women.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 02:49:54 AM »
The outfits are some of the ancient costumes of Finland, based on grave findings from the viking era (800 - 1050 AD) and crusade era (1050 - 1300 AD). Kalevala Koru ("Kalevala Jewel") is a company that among other "nationally inspired" things sells reproductions of these dresses and their jewelry, so their web site is a good source for good and clear images of them. These "official" ancient costumes are commonly seen like older versions of the national costumes based on 18th and 19th century peasant wear and are worn on festive occasions by those who can afford them. Our president Tarja Halonen once wore the Eura costume for her Independence Day reception.

Whether all women could wear sykerö or if it was reserved for married women only I don't know. I don't even know if there have been very many among the grave findings. One thing is sure however: only the very rich could afford such a luxury piece.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 02:59:24 AM »
The outfits are some of the ancient costumes of Finland, based on grave findings from the viking era (800 - 1050 AD) and crusade era (1050 - 1300 AD). Kalevala Koru ("Kalevala Jewel") is a company that among other "nationally inspired" things sells reproductions of these dresses and their jewelry, so their web site is a good source for good and clear images of them.

These "official" ancient costumes are commonly seen like older versions of the national costumes based on 18th and 19th century peasant wear and are worn on festive occasions by those who can afford them.
I notice that each of the complete ensembles includes a "puukko" knife -- so I guess that supports at least one national stereotype...  ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 07:44:16 AM »
Funny fact: carrying a knife (at least visibly) in public places is forbidden by Finnish law. But if the knife is part of a national costume/ancient costume you are free to carry it about wherever you like ;)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Anton

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 08:45:14 AM »
Do you guys happen to know if there's a book version of the kalevala out there that's in finnish AND english? possibly side by side, hopefully not as expensive as the only other version i've found which is like 60 euros...
would be great.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:18 AM »
So Reynir can probably swim, and Lalli and Turri definitely know how to swim, are supernaturally cold resistant and can fight zombie seals. Noted! :D

*flexes saga muscles*

ACTUALLY the one best suited for zombie seal hunting is Reynir. There's this one scene in Eyrbyggja saga where a zombie seal rises through the floor to eat a house's winter supply of dried fish, and a young Icelandic farm boy plays the most epic game of Whack-a-mole on it with an axe until it gives up and sinks beck through the floor and -

...I'll show myself out now shall I...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 05:36:39 AM »
There's this one scene in Eyrbyggja saga where a zombie seal rises through the floor to eat a house's winter supply of dried fish, and a young Icelandic farm boy plays the most epic game of Whack-a-mole on it with an axe until it gives up and sinks beck through the floor

(I hope we're not drifting too much off thread!)

That sounds fantastic! I've had a fondness for the sagas for years ever since I came across this extract from Njal's...

Kolskegg turned swiftly, and strode towards him, and struck him on the thigh with his short sword and cut off his leg, and said "Did you feel that?".
"This is what I get for not shielding myself" said Kol, and he stood for a while and looked at his stump.
"There's no point looking at it" said Kolskegg "The leg is gone."
Then Kol fell down dead

...now I know there are zombie seals, nothing is going to stop me reading them! :D

Somebody really needs to art that. Can you draw?

In the sense that I can pick up a pencil and make marks on something, yes. In the sense that anyone would want to look at said marks, sadly no :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 09:16:32 AM »
That sounds fantastic! I've had a fondness for the sagas for years ever since I came across this extract from Njal's...

Kolskegg turned swiftly, and strode towards him, and struck him on the thigh with his short sword and cut off his leg, and said "Did you feel that?".
"This is what I get for not shielding myself" said Kol, and he stood for a while and looked at his stump.
Then Kol fell down dead

...now I know there are zombie seals, nothing is going to stop me reading them! :D

It's difficult for me to read that and not be reminded of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail  :))
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »
It's difficult for me to read that and not be reminded of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail  :))

You know, you're quite right! :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 09:30:37 AM »
(I hope we're not drifting too much off thread!)

Then Kol fell down dead

Throwing in juuuust a bit more OT for this thread, Njáls saga is full of viking slapstick:

Thorgrim the Easterling went and began to climb up on the hall; Gunnar sees that a red kirtle passed before the windowslit, and thrusts out the bill, and smote him on the middle. Thorgrim's feet slipped from under him, and he dropped his shield, and down he toppled from the roof.
Then he goes to Gizur and his band as they sat on the ground.
Gizur looked at him and said -
"Well, is Gunnar at home?"
"Find that out for yourselves," said Thorgrim; "but this I am sure of, that his bill is at home," and with that he fell down dead.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »
Throwing in juuuust a bit more OT for this thread, Njáls saga is full of viking slapstick:

Thorgrim the Easterling went and began to climb up on the hall; Gunnar sees that a red kirtle passed before the windowslit, and thrusts out the bill, and smote him on the middle. Thorgrim's feet slipped from under him, and he dropped his shield, and down he toppled from the roof.
Then he goes to Gizur and his band as they sat on the ground.
Gizur looked at him and said -
"Well, is Gunnar at home?"
"Find that out for yourselves," said Thorgrim; "but this I am sure of, that his bill is at home," and with that he fell down dead.

Viking slapstick seems to end with at least one death per scene, it seems! Not sure what else I expected, having said that...
Either way, this made me chuckle! (Although I had to look up what a kirtle and a bill are - clothing and a weapon, right?)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
Viking slapstick seems to end with at least one death per scene, it seems! Not sure what else I expected, having said that...
Either way, this made me chuckle! (Although I had to look up what a kirtle and a bill are - clothing and a weapon, right?)

Yup, a tunic-like garment and an atgeir, a very Iceland-typical spear.

EDIT: ooooo looks like I got a playground of my own! *rubs hands* :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:51:01 AM by Laufey »

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »
Alright. At special request from someone I won't say who  ;) we now have a thread to discuss saga and kalevala stuff to our heart's content.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
Alright. At special request from someone I won't say who  ;) we now have a thread to discuss saga and kalevala stuff to our heart's content.

I think the only surprising thing about this decision is that it took us this long to put a thread up for this  :D
I write a bit on AO3