Author Topic: 12 Days of Christmas Event 2023  (Read 2411 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
12 Days of Christmas Event 2023
« on: December 24, 2023, 01:31:53 AM »
Hello and welcome to our brand-new event for 2023, modelled on the '12 Days of Christmas'  Tonight and over the next days (through 4 January Forum time), we will be featuring a new fanwork each day, celebrating our seasons and this time of year in our own corners of the fandom.  The first night, 24 December, is the big Yule / Jul / Joulu celebration night in some parts of the world including Finland, so tonight our lovely mod Jitter is here to kick things off with the continuing adventures of Emil & Lalli's extended post-canon family Rakel and their child Lumi.

Yule Peace

Lumi loved the Yule celebrations. Many days leading up to the Yule Feast were spent in busy preparations. Cleaning, baking, decorating, crafting of gifts, everything was so exciting! A welcome breather in the hustle and bustle was offered in the couple of nights when most of the village gathered to the centre square for Yule singing.

Lumi liked singing. Isi and äiti were both good singers, and uncle Onni had his kantele. Lumi was already learning to play! So, music was quite common in the Hotakainen household. But having everyone in the village sing together was powerful and filled her with a feeling of community.

Many of the Yule songs were strange. Some were happy and joyous tunes, and others were sad and haunting in a way that was different from runos, familiar and alien at the same time. There were several songs about snow and winter, and birds. “Sparrow in Yule morning” seemed to be one of the favourites of many adults, even though it was very sad! Lumi liked the happier ones better, such as, “Leave behind everyday worries” or “It’s five o’clock”.

Some of them were hard to understand. No one seemed to know for example what is a “manger”. Or why would people put on bells when moving around, abandoning all stealth and caution? But the adults just told her that many of the songs were from Before and maybe had made sense then. Weird that many songs from Before were so sad, even though everyone certainly had been all happy all the time! Isi sometimes said that the Old World had been stupid.

On the morning of Yule Eve, the roast was taken out of the oven and filled the house with its delicious scent. Next in were the casseroles (carrot, potato and rutabaga). They started the day with porridge and some final preparations. At noon they gathered at the square again for the declaration of Yule Peace. This year the radio worked well, so most of the text could actually be heard via radio from Saimaa. When parts of the broadcast broke up, one of the older people in Toivosaari, Marita, read the words for everyone to hear:

Today, by the grace of our highly honoured gods and beloved ancestors, we celebrate Yuletide as it marks the turning of another year.

And thus is declared a Peace of Yuletide for all, by advising everyone to embrace devotion in their celebration, and to behave otherwise quietly and peacefully.

If ever should anyone break this Peace and violate the Yule Feast by any illegal or improper behaviour, they shall be considered under aggravating circumstances to be guilty, and punished according to what the law and statutes prescribe for each and every crime and offence.

Finally, a joyous Yule Feast is wished upon all inhabitants of the country!

“Papa, what does “statute” mean?”

“Sorry dear, I don’t really know. But I do know it says you must behave nice and quiet!”

“Why would it say that? Yule is a happy festival! Isn’t it, mama?” Lumi ran after her mums. Rakel caught her in her arms and lifted her up to her lap.

“Yes, yes it is! But it’s also a time for remembering those who are not with us anymore.”

“Is that why we take candles to the graves later tonight?”

“Yes, that’s part of Yule as well.”

“And you know, Lumi,” isi added, “the ancestors join our celebrations. They also have a Yule sauna, and at night when we are sleeping, they share our feast.”

“Uncle Onni! What was Aunt Tuuri’s favourite Yule food?”

“Hmm… let me think.” The wind must have gotten to Onni’s eyes, “I suppose it might have been gingerbread. At least she had loads of those every year.”

“Gingerbread! I love gingerbread too!”

Vocabulary note: the word for Christmas in Finnish is joulu. As a word it doesn’t reference Christ or Christianity at all. So I think they would have just kept the name of the celebration even when the Old World gods went to oblivion and the midwinter was once again a celebration of new light and the Finnish gods and ancestors.

I wanted to include something of the contemporary Finnish Christmas, and these are things that may well have been preserved.

Concerts / sing along events of “Most beautiful Christmas songs” are very popular nowadays and Christmas songs are also probably among the most well-known songs, so it seems likely to me that the survivors would hold on to the songs even though some of the meanings would be lost. Much of it could be repurposed anyways, like the midwinter celebrations were repurposed for Christianity earlier. But I think some like Silent Night Holy Night could just remain even if it didn’t make complete sense anymore.

The declaration of Christmas Peace is an ancient tradition that was done in several Finnish cities in the Middle Ages. Turku has kept the tradition ongoing almost uninterrupted since the 1300s. It’s been broadcast for as long as there has been a broadcasting company in Finland. Nowadays it is televised, and many watch it live (myself included) at noon on the 24th December.

It’s also shown in several countries abroad as well as in the YLE streaming service. I include a youtube link for 2019 declaration (it is always the same, same songs and the same text, current text is from 1905). The reading of the declaration itself starts at about 6 minutes
https://www.joulukaupunkiturku.fi/en/christmas-city/declaration-christmas-peace

I am certain many people could recite the declaration from memory, especially if a few tried to do it together, so at first it would be true to the original (or rather, the year -1 version. I tweaked the text a bit as the Old World gods would not be invoked in around Y108. And the translation sounded les pompous than the Finnish text 😊

Other traditions include joulusauna, bringing of candles to the graves, and of course the feasting. The most iconic foods are ham (I think the Hotakainens are having lamb though), carrot, rutabaga and potato casseroles, and various kinds of pickled and smoked fish. The porridge in the morning is nowadays rice, Lumi and her family are having barley porridge.

Finally, here are a few of the songs. The most beloved Christmas songs are either gloomily beautiful or just gloomy. Sorry about that.

Varpunen jouluaamuna (Sparrow in Christmas morning)

Arkihuolesi kaikki heitä (Leave behind everyday worries)

Sylvian joululaulu (Christmas Song of Sylvia)

tonttujen jouluyö (Night of the tonttus)

Kello löi jo viisi officially Joulukirkkoon (It’s 5 o’clock AM) – a cappella version

On hanget korkeat nietokset (There’s snow and lots of snow)

Tonttu
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 01:51:55 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: 12 Days of Christmas Event 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 02:42:06 AM »
Jitter, I love your imagining of Finnish Yule/Christmas traditions in the SSSS universe (and the children's misconceptions about what the old world was like!). I'm listening to the christmas songs you attached right now.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

gjuerne

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 10:03:41 AM »
Thank you, Jitter! I love descriptions of Solstice/Christmas traditions and it is a fun speculation on how they might have evolved in the SSSS universe.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 10:36:10 AM »
Thank you Keep and Gjuerne! And extra thanks for our esteemed moderator for running the event and in my case also for including the note about who the people in the story are, because I totally forgot to do that. It’s in my Toivosaari continuum.

Lumi is the firstborn of the Hotakainen household, consisting of Lalli and Emil, now married, with Rakel (a reporter, originally from Iceland) and her Finnish wife Inka. They all live together forming a what is sometimes called a clover family. So isi is Lalli, pappa is Emil and äiti is her birth mother Inka. Since Inka is also a noita, it is no wonder Lumi is later a student of magic. Onni also lives at the homestead but he has his own house there.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 02:02:10 AM »

On this second day of our Christmas event, dmeck7755 gave to us - a lovely poem and best wishes of the season!

The longest night had the moon aglow
The silence of the forest and the shadows below.

There is time pause, to reflect and ponder
I wish for next year to be happy and not so somber.

We think about this past year, the sorrows and tears
Wars, politics and anger playing to our fears.

People are hurting, people are sad
We have each other here and this makes me glad

We are from all over around the globe
Different ages, and people and groups all told

We have fun, chat and lend a listening ear
All these people, we hold so dear.

We have our little spot here so bright
We try as we can to keep up the light

I am grateful for you the forum
We laugh, we cry, we talk, we have fun

We treat each with respect and more
These are the things worth fighting for

I wish all a glorious yule.
Or any other holiday that means the most to you.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 02:06:43 AM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 05:18:03 AM »
Dmeck, I very much share the sentiment in your poem! A good yule or otherwise to all here.

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 08:13:24 AM »
Dmeck, thank you! This is beautiful! We try as we can to keep up the light, yes we do!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »
We do try! And thank you, dmeck, for a fine poem.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2023, 11:52:50 AM »
Praise to light shining in darkness!

(And for darkness, which lets us see the light. But some kinds of darkness we don't need.)

dmeck7755

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2023, 01:07:28 PM »
Thank you all
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2023, 04:29:36 PM »
I'm amazed!    :sparkle: O_O :sparkle:

(Yes, I'm aware that's my usual reaction. Yet it happens again and again with this amazing lot)

Thank you so much, Jitter and dmeck! And Wave, of course. I can't wait for the next one  :) <3
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2023, 02:23:35 AM »

We come to Day 3 of our 12 Days adventure, and I present to you a lovely story exploring Tuuri's possibilities as a ghost bird, written by none other than thegreyarea.  Where and when would you go, if you had the ability? Enjoy!

The Right Place

"I'm tired."

"Sorry! I don't want to bore you."

"Silly ghost bird! I'm never bored when I'm with you! It's just... we had a long day, and I need some sleep!"

"Oh, sleep! Of course! I see. It's really late. You must rest. Carrying that heavy braid the whole day..."

"You keep mocking my braid because you wish to have one! But then you'd be a silly and weird ghost bird!"

"I would not! Apologize now, Mr. Reynir Árnason, or this weird ghost bird will haunt you and your freckles for the rest of your days!"

"Fine! You would be a silly, weird and lovely ghost bird!"

"Hum... That's better... It will be enough, for now."

"Anyway, aren't you tired? Birds sleep too."

"Nope. I can do something akin to sleep, if I really want, but it's not the same... It's just like breathing. I can do it, but I really don't need to."

"Or flying, right? I saw you flying, or just hovering in the air, without using your wings."

"That's true."

"See? Weird! And what do you do when people around you are sleeping?"

"Most times I patrol the area, trying to spot any dangerous critter."

"And when we are in a safe area?"

"I still circle around. I like to observe things done before the Rash, those big buildings, bridges, factories... I try to guess why they were made that way... And sometimes I just enjoy the view from up there."

"You must feel lonely."

"I'm already used to it. And sometimes interesting things happen."

"Like what?"

"Hum... You must believe me, because this is one really strange story."

"Promise."

"It happened when I was alone with Onni, hunting those bears, before we reunited. We found that lehto, the one where we all stayed later, and I was so happy! We knew the bears had found a place somewhere in Joensuu, so I convinced my brother to stay for two days. He really needed some rest."

"He surely looked like that when we found you both."

"You saw him after those days. He looked much worse before that."

"So Onni got some much needed sleep, and you were free to wonder a bit."

"Yep! I knew he would sleep for a whole day, or more. I began by going around the island, and next I crossed the lake, to Joensuu and back. Then I decided to check how far I could go, and how fast. I thought I might even reach Savonlinaa, if I flew really really fast. And I did!"

"Sounds great!"

"It was! And didn't take long, actually. Next I flew to our previous home, Keuruu. I was getting good at flying fast."

"And you got there easily? It's a long journey."

"In no time. Everything was just as I remembered from when we left. There was just this odd thing... It was too cold for summer. But I didn't care much about it. I still had a lot of time, so why not go further? A good friend of mine wanted to find if there were palm trees in Bornholm..."

"No! You didn't... Seriously? You went as far as Bornholm?"

"Oh, I was just getting started. But we'll get there. So, I arrived at Bornholm..."

"Wait! How did you find it? It's a small island in the middle of the sea."

"I'm not sure. Being a bird helps, I suppose. Birds do have a good sense of orientation... I just knew the way."

"Fine! Now, please tell me about the palm trees."

"I'm sorry, my dear, but I couldn't find a single palm tree in Bornholm. But I found something stranger, at this time of the year. Snow. Lots of snow covering the fields."

"On summer? That can't be!"

"Sure. I was confused, and wanted to explore more, therefore I went even further, into the silent world."

"You didn't go to Denmark, did you?"

"No, I had no wish to come closer to the place where... You know. So I turned south, and accelerated! I'm sure I was going faster than an airplane from the old times. Things got weirder then."

"How?"

"The ground below started to change quickly. There was snow, and then there wasn't. Minutes later everything was covered in white again. I landed briefly. Once the ground was covered in flowers, the second time there were trees losing their reddish leaves... The old buildings and roads were also in better shape."

"That's odd. You were deep into the silent world."

"Yes, somewhere in old Germany, I suppose. The further I moved, the faster those changes came, and then... There were fires and explosions everywhere, smoke rising from cities... I'm a ghost, nothing can harm me, but it was scary, so I got away from there even faster, and soon everything was peaceful again. Actually, too peaceful, and even weirder."

"What do you mean?"

"I looked down and there were cars moving on the road below. Not one or two, but dozens! And many trucks, and I saw an airplane flying over me. I began asking if we were all mistaken. How was that possible? How that could exist in the middle of the silent world?"

"You are right. It is weird."

"I knew I was probably somewhere over France, so why not check a really big city? I always wanted to see Paris."

"Paris?"

"France's capital, millions of people, big tower in the center. And it was all that, and much more. Traffic noise, thousands gathered in busy streets, airplanes, helicopters, ships up and down the river... All that and no monsters. People walked, got in and out of cars and buses, talked, smiled... Can you imagine?"

"Like Reykjavik, but much bigger, I guess."

"Much, much bigger. I got closer to a guy reading the newspaper on a bench. Couldn't read their language, but I saw the date. 2001. On the old world's calendar, the Rash hit on 2013, I believe. Somehow I was in the past, more than a hundred years before now."

"That's impossible!"

"What would you say about a talking ghost bird? Yeah, impossible. Yet I'm here, speaking to you, as sure as I was there, in 2001 Paris, watching the sunset on a park filled with people... It should be close to Christmas, their Yule, and the city was decorated with so many lights... I wish you where there."

"So do I... Someone saw you? Was there any mage among all those people?"

"Not that I noticed. And I wanted it so much! I wanted to tell them to enjoy each day, to appreciate the absence of fear... and, most of all, I wanted to warn them about the Rash."

"But... Would that be possible? To change the past? Besides... We wouldn't be here, would we? And if we were not..."

"Yes, I know. A paradox. What would happen? Can it happen, or something, somewhere, would change to counter what I did? Anyway, I tried, again and again, but no one was able to see, or hear me. After some time I quit, and flew away."

"And how did you know if it was possible to come back?"

"I didn't. I was terribly worried. Would I arrive at the right time when I returned to Onni? Or time would keep moving back, and I'd never see him again? The only way to know was trying... but before that I wanted to see more. I recalled another place that I always wanted to visit. The Pyramids."

"Hey, I know those! They were in the cover of a book in the library."

"I started flying south, and east, and as I moved fast the ground started to change again. It was night, so I could see each city's street lights... so beautiful... But as I flew there were fewer and fewer lights, and soon all I could see below were some twinkling fires. I assumed that moving back in time had brought me before lamps were invented."

"But you still knew the way."

"Yes. I crossed lands and seas, dodged a few storms, and finally they were there, under a full moon. They are immense, you know? Like... mountains. And there was a large city nearby, crossed by a river. Lots of people, and cats!"

"Did the cats spot you?"

"One even tried to catch me! And there were many amazing palm trees."

"I wish I'd seen it..."

"I spent some time there, and even landed at the top of the highest pyramid. A view that I'll remember as long as I liv... I mean... Forever, I guess."

"What happened next?"

"I was flying around, gathering the courage to go back and find out my fate, when I spotted a small group. They were riding some funny horses and carrying torches. Clouds blanketed the area, so it was pretty dark. They seemed lost. I could see some lights, probably a small town, far away, behind some hills. I guess they wanted to get there."

"And..."

"Well, I was there, hoovering and thinking how my dear Reynir would love to help those people, and how sad it was that I couldn't do anything, when one of them pointed in my direction and shouted something in a strange language."

"They could see you?"

"It surely looked like it. And, to my surprise, two others joined him, gesticulating and speaking loudly. I still don't know how they managed to see me, but I did know that you wouldn't waste a chance to help. I opened my wings, so they could see me better, and drifted towards the small town."

"And they followed? You are so small. Probably looked just like a tiny dot in the sky."

"I moved slowly, of course, and they came, always pointing and speaking, until we arrived at the little town's outskirts, and they took shelter on a small cave."

"Great! What happened next?"

"I decided to fly straight back to Onni, and, as you can guess, it worked. As I came closer time accelerated in the right direction. When I arrived my brother was still asleep."

"I was asking what happened with the people after they got into the cave. Didn't you try to talk to them, since they were able to see you?"

"Oh, that! I did get inside the cave. There was some cattle resting close to the entrance, and I hid among it, while trying to understand their language. But I couldn't, and was getting increasingly worried about coming back to the lehto, so I left."

"Well, at least you helped."

"Yes. And, you know, I believe that I took them to the right place."

"Do you? Why?"

"They seemed pretty happy to meet the people inside the cave, a couple and their newborn."

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2023, 08:03:35 AM »
Such a sweet, sweet story!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

dmeck7755

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2023, 09:32:50 AM »
Grey, love the story. 
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2023, 09:35:54 AM »
Very Christmassy, Grey, and a fascinating story concept!

Ruler of Changi Airport