Author Topic: Prompt of the week!  (Read 33117 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Prompt of the week!
« on: January 10, 2022, 01:54:25 PM »
As we are slowly (or far too quickly?) arriving to the End of Comic, we might perhaps like to do something to ease the transition. Tehta suggested an informal “event”, i.e. setting a Prompt of the Week to encourage people to create something small, or not so small.

I for one think this is a very good idea! Hopefully it will keep us going now when the updates slow down, and then we’ll get the epilogue and then…

So, while there are still updates, the idea is to set the prompt based on the previous week’s page(s). The prompt will be set between the posting of the Friday page, and the following Monday. Anyone can set the prompt, just post it into this thread. Something on the lines of “Prompt of the Week for the week of 10 January will be xxxx”. The first one to suggest a prompt gets to do so, no turns reserved.

Please also remember that if it were to happnen so that there were no works on that week, it does not mean that your prompt would be boring! We have many creators but everyone has a life too, so it may just happen everyone is busy with other things. As the previous events demonstrate, any prompt can be interpreted in a million ways.

Then anyone who feels like it, makes something on the prompt and posts here. Any media is welcome again! Just like the other events, but nobody has any pressure, ok? And if you start something, but don’t finish during the week, just post when it’s done (or post a sketch, or both!)

I want to stress again that this is intended to be a relaxed, relaxing and fun thing. There are no right or wrong answers, and you are free to post any prompt as your association process comes up with. And similarly, you are free to apply the prompt just as you see fit, or even not at all. You don’t have to make a work, when you post a prompt, but are of course very welcome to do so.

Discussion of the works will also go into this thread, just like before. Anyone is welcome to comment and discuss, both the creators and anyone else!

Let’s try to keep this going, ok? We have many running threads, so could as well start one for general creative works too!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:56:30 AM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
Re: Prompt of the week!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 01:56:50 PM »
To get the ball rolling, I’ll go first. So based on last week’s comic pages,

The prompt of the week for week of 10 January is Neither.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 02:47:01 AM »
I like this idea, and I haven't forgotten this week's prompt. 
I'm working through a WIP (dunno if I'll get it done this week?), which I will tease via one of our popular Six Word Stories:

The Rash: be spared, or die?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 01:27:35 PM »
I like that too. I'm working on a story that matches the prompt. Should be ready tomorrow or Friday.
Great idea!

(Must check those six word stories)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 02:37:03 PM »
Neither

“Ok, mum, dad, I have heard your advice. And I have decided after all, that I will not be joining the Norwegian army. I think it’s not the right place for me.”

“Freya be praised! My son! You don’t know how happy it makes me hear that!”

“Hrrmph, son, you gave your mother nightmares.”

“Oh, I’m sorry for that mom. But I had to go on that mission to understand what I really want to do with my life.”

“I always knew you love the sheep too much to really leave them! You are such a sweet and gentle soul!”

“Umm, yes, I suppose… sheep are very nice. And fluffy. So, anyways, i have decided I must learn much more about magic.”

“Oh, the Academy has such great courses on sheep husbandry! I happen to know that next semester they will be starting both Lambing and sheep fertility and Curing and un-cursing ruminants!”

“Why would you know that?”

“Oh, no reason. I just happened to meet a few of the teachers. They are very competent mages, you know.”

“Uh, I’m sure they are. So, as I was saying, for my further training I will…”

“Need a place to stay in Reykjavik! You can go live at my sister’s house, they need help with the kids.”

“Mom, I’m not going to Reykjavik!”

“What? Why? I’m sure the Akureyri academy is good too, but surely…”

“I’m not going to Akureyri either!”

“Hm? Didn’t you just say… What do you plan to do, if you are choosing neither?”

”I will go to Finland. I must learn about spirits. Onni will teach me. I’m sure he will.”

”Oh. But. Yet… Finland?”

dmeck7755

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 08:56:36 PM »
Aunt Siv was pacing. You could hear the snuff snuff on the carpet.  She was hoping that her plan would work.  The party looked to be a success and Emil seemed to be basking in all of the glory of the girls ooohing and ahhing over him.

One of the debutantes should be able to manuaver Emil into a compromised position and he would be married as was right and proper. So not to sully the girl's reputation

She looked over and saw Emil and the Lila girl missing.  Her heart skipped a beat.

The following morning Lila, Lalli, Emil and another girl Siv did not reconize came back to the house.

"Aunt Siv you'd never guess this. I got married last night!"

"Really Congrationalations" As she reached over to hug Lila.

"Thanks so much, Helga and I are going to open a shop in Mora.  We decided on a double ceremony."

Emil smiles at his aunt. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 09:15:55 PM by dmeck7755 »
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 04:56:39 AM »
Jitter: Ooh, is this part of your general 'Onni and Reynir develop a new magic together' timeline? Anyway, I love Reynir's voice here.

Dmeck: Snerk snerk. What kind of a shop are the girls opening? (Maybe a cake shop where Lalli can get bun discounts?)
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

dmeck7755

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 06:45:04 AM »
Jitter: Ooh, is this part of your general 'Onni and Reynir develop a new magic together' timeline? Anyway, I love Reynir's voice here.

Astyr I would like to be Onni's love interest. (per the one story) I am trying to control the swirl of ideas so I can the story it into words. I am kinda jumping from rock to rock and am having a hard time getting my thoughts in order to write it. 

Jitter: Snerk snerk. What kind of a shop are the girls opening? (Maybe a cake shop where Lalli can get bun discounts?)

I had no idea, for the shop.  (Maybe a forge ) Emil picked Lalli

Sooo  Lila+Helga and Emil+Lalli. Sorry Aunt Siv not today.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:51:45 AM by dmeck7755 »

-Frank Zappa

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 08:00:35 AM »
I know Emil picked Lalli (or they picked each other). I am a committed Emilalli shipper myself...
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 11:20:28 AM »

Thanks tehta! I guess it is (the name of that continuum is Spirit House), this probably happens some time after Adventure 2 when they are taking a vacation in Iceland but I guess after Mist. Clearly Onni doesn’t yet know about his role as Reynir’s teacher :)

Dmeck, in my main continuum Reynir and Onni will end up as life partners, but much later. Reynir will marry and have children and divorce before that. In the meanwhile they are friends and comrades in magic. I don’t yet know if Onni will have anyone before Reynir. I know what you mean about the “swirl of ideas”, to me it almost feels like there was a story that existed somewhere, and I just get to see bits of it and then I try to write those bits, but I don’t (yet?) know what happens in between :)

I like Astyr and the way you introduced her! It’s one of the many great things about this fandom that we can and do have very different relationships between the characters and don’t fight about it. But, my main ship is Emilalli :) And so is many others’. Not everyone’s of course. And we also have a lot of fanfic with no shipping of anyone!

dmeck7755

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 12:56:07 PM »
Dmeck, in my main continuum Reynir and Onni will end up as life partners, but much later. Reynir will marry and have children and divorce before that. In the meanwhile they are friends and comrades in magic. I don’t yet know if Onni will have anyone before Reynir. I know what you mean about the “swirl of ideas”, to me it almost feels like there was a story that existed somewhere, and I just get to see bits of it and then I try to write those bits, but I don’t (yet?) know what happens in between :)

I sincerely apologize!! I was thinking only my story arc. (duh!)  I have to go look for those stories, as it is an arc I had not though of.  (Lalli and Emil are sooo obvious to me.  Sigrun and Mikkel also.  Though that would be more like Sigrun hits Mikkel over the head with a shovel ;) )

I like Astyr and the way you introduced her! It’s one of the many great things about this fandom that we can and do have very different relationships between the characters and don’t fight about it. But, my main ship is Emilalli :) And so is many others’. Not everyone’s of course. And we also have a lot of fanfic with no shipping of anyone!

Some of the ARCs I have read so far I really like and would keep them for my stories if possible.
You. are so correct there.  So far I have read/enjoyed a few from  tehta.  Mikkel's story from lwise2019 (I have not read all of them yet),  For some reason I really liked Jstevens Fragments of us.   I have just started to read through A03 and Fanfic.  I have not see your stuff as yet

I have also read some from other writers and use the google translate to read non-english ones. 

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 01:17:58 PM »
Oh, be, I’m Jiiri on AO3. I don’t know why I took a different name :)

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 07:03:48 PM »
Alright. Here we go. I was surprisingly uninspired by this one, possibly because work has sucked out my brain and my soul this week.

“He’s adorable!” said Siv, relieved to find that it wasn’t even a lie. So many toddlers were shockingly unappealing, but, luckily, her little nephew’s golden curls, bright smile, and chubby little limbs made him look rather precious, like an exquisite little marzipan confection. “And he certainly does have your hair, doesn’t he?”

“Yes, yes,” said Helga, in that languorous way of hers, before setting Emil down on the carpet. His huge eyes followed her as she made her way towards the drinks cabinet. “Entertain him, please, while I fix us all some cocktails.”

“Cocktails?” Torbjörn asked, looking down at the child with uncertainty. “Shouldn’t we… Wouldn’t it be better to wait for Torolf?”

“Oh, he won’t be home until very late. He never ever is.”

Siv joined her husband in watching Emil watch his mother take out a few decanters. “The gifts!” she suggested.

“Oh, right!” Torbjörn clapped his hands, and stepped out into the corridor, returning with the toys and handing Siv her choice before crouching down in front of his nephew, his own purchase in his hands. “Look, Emil! A teddy bear! It’s an antique, very expensive.”

Emil did look, but his expression was more perplexed than delighted.

Siv rolled her eyes a little, and crouched down as well, holding out the fluffy bunny she had selected. “How about this one, sweety? I used to have one very much like it when I was your age.”

Emil’s head swiveled towards the new toy, but his expression did not change. His eyes darted from one gift to the other, his little forehead scrunching up in increasing confusion.

“Honestly, I don’t know why you bothered,” said Helga, closing her cocktail-shaker. “He has piles of toys already.”

“Never too early to teach him good taste,” said Torbjörn, shaking his teddy bear encouraginly. “Look, he likes it!”

It was certainly true that Emil’s face had suddenly cleared into an expression of pure delight, but Siv did not think he was looking at the bear. Or even at the bunny. No, he appeared to be looking at the gap between her and her husband, as if fascinated by something behind them both.

Siv glanced over her shoulder, but all she could see was the wall, with its antique fireplace.

“Oh no,” said Helga. “Not again. Stop him, will you?”

“Stop him? What do you mean?” asked Torbjörn, staring up at her quizzically and completely failing to see little Emil launch himself towards the flames.

Luckily, Siv, always faster at spotting potential disasters, caught him just in time.

Incidentally, this story holds a very deep metaphor. Emil represents me, and the various things he pays attention to represent various things I would, or would not, be interested in seeing in the epilogue.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 07:13:25 PM »
dmeck, I, too, know the swirl of ideas all too well. I usually have too many, try to shove way too much into each story, confuse myself completely, and end up cutting a lot (but probably not enough).
And I do like the idea of the forge for Lila and Helga! Emil can come over and stare at the fires.

Jitter, I completely agree that being able to take the story and the relationships in different directions is one of the great joys of fandom. Not only can we enjoy each others' different interpretations, we can interpret characters in several different ways ourselves and nobody will bug us about continuity. I mean, I did have Emil get married to a woman in one story, while being completely committed to Lalli in some others... And I did write Onni/Mikkel as well as Onni/Reynir (although, come to think of it, those two could actually be the same Onni, which could be fun exploring).

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 05:55:39 AM »
Just a reminder for anyone and everyone: it’s time for the next prompt. So, take a look at this week’s pages and post something (it can be a word or a phrase) as a prompt. First come first serverd.

You do not have to make a work on your own prompt, but are of course welcome to do so.

Please also remember that if it were to happnen so that there were no works on that week, it does not mean that your prompt would be boring! We have many creators but everyone has a life too, so it may just happen everyone is busy with other things. As the previous events demonstrate, any prompt can be interpreted in a million ways. (Added this last bit on the opening message too - the last thing I want is someone to feel this is a competition!)