Author Topic: YoinkTober 2021  (Read 9127 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: YoinkTober 2021
« Reply #270 on: November 01, 2021, 12:54:27 PM »
Opaque, as a Garfield fan I loved the poem! I even ate it twice! Also lovely one with Bosse. What a patient cat to endure that without scratching anyone at range!

Wave, Jitter, Roisin, Mira, I'll comment later 'cause didn't have time to catch up properly.

Tehta, I'm very happy to find that you enjoyed this episode, and even more that my stories can have a positive effect on your moral! Thanks!
And yes, this Reynir has a capability that would make the SSSS Emil quite envious... Let's see what more he can do on the next episode, that will continue with Mikkel and Reynir's adventures on King's Landing, a lovely place as long as you keep your eyes open for any "obstacles" that may be on your way... :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #271 on: November 01, 2021, 03:34:12 PM »
So here is one more!

30.10. Cats

One day, and this happened very long ago, when the world was still young, much before the Difficult Times, long before the Old Cities were built, one day Mielikki and Tapio called all of the emuus into their halls. "I have seen a beautiful thing" Tapio explained to the emuus. "There will be great forests all over the Earth, and trees will grow there, and they will be grand."

"And in the forests" Mielikki, his lady and wife, continued, "in the protection of the trees, there will be so much different life. There will be animals of all sizes, and they will live in the forests and make them their home." But then a sorrow darkened Mielikki's face and she continued, "For a long time, the forests will be in peace, and all beings will live there and follow their own nature. But there will be others, who will come, and they will not make the forests their home. They will fell the trees and build their homes and many things of the wood. And they will dig the ground, and break rock. They will bring many wonderful things to the world, but they will also bring destruction. But this time will pass."

"To make this beauty real, we ask of you" and now Tapio was talking to the emuus Tuometar, Pihlajatar, Hongatar and others, "to go to the Earth, and grow your trees everywhere, and make them strong and beautiful."

The emuus of trees responded, "We will do as you ask, as we see warm sun, and cool waters, and wintertime that will give us rest. We will grow strong and numerous, and the others cannot harm us."

In thanks, Tapio gave them his presents. Hongatar's trees would be tall and straight and always see the sun. Tuometar's saplings would have flowers with the loveliest scent imaginable. Pihlajatar's seedlings would grow to graceful trees that fill with berries every summer. Other trees received different gifts, but all received something beautiful. Tapio sent also flowers, berries and different plants and mushrooms to make sure the forests were beautiful and healthy.

When the trees had grown into forests, Mielikki asked the emuus of animals to go there to make the forests their homes and make them lively. And the emuus responded, "We will do as you ask, as we see the forests are beautiful and full of bounty. The trees will protect us from the others."

Hearing this, Mielikki was both happy and sad. She told the emuus that the trees would not be able to protect all of them, because the others were resourceful and also greedy, and needed so very many things. But again she reminded them, that after the others had come and gone, the forests would be peaceful once more.

The emuus agreed to go, and they received their gifts. The Bear received strength and her offspring would be the mightiest of all. The Squirrel got a lovely and warm tail. The Wolf's gift was the pack to run with and the howl to honor the Moon. The Moose was given long and strong legs, to be able to move swiftly in the forests, through snowbanks and across lakes. The Fox rejoiced in the promise that there will be colorful lights in the sky for her. And so on, all a animals received something that made them special and beautiful.

Finally, Mielikki spoke to the Lynx. "To you, Mother Lynx, I have a special request. The others, humans, will need a companion. I ask of you to give some of your children to go live with the humans. They will need your eyes and ears to keep watch in the night. Without you, their food will be eaten by vermin, and they will starve."

The Lynx was wary. "What you have told us about these humans, does not sound good. I am not willing to live with them."

Mielikki responded "Please do not think the humans are nothing but bad. I spoke in haste in my sorrow, for I have seen they will hurt many forests. But they will also bring many things into the world, that no one else could. Our brothers and sisters have asked us to ask you to help them."

Still the Lynx was unwilling. "I am a free spirit, and so will be my children. We do not wish to be tied to the humans. We refuse to be owned!"

"This I promise you" Mielikki spoke solemnly "You and your children will never be owned by the humans. You will be equal companions, and as you help them, they will love and cherish you. They will not be given power over you, to tell you what to do. Those of your kin that go live with them, will always make their own decisions. If you do this, you will receive a boon."

So the Lynx agreed to ask some of her children to go to the humans. But the decision was given to each of the children individually. Some loved the forests and the hunt, and they decided to stay. Others went to humans, and found that they liked the warmth of the fire and the friendliness of the hand more than the hunt.

Mielikki spoke once more to the Lynx "For this, I bless you and all your kin. There will be a time when a terrible blight will hurt all the world. But you and your kin will never contract the plague, and while you will not fully escape suffering, as the entire World will weep, you will not be touched by it like the others. This is my word and my blessing."

And that is how cats came to live with us humans, and this is why they are immune. It is all thanks to decision of the Mother Lynx, and Mielikki's blessing, very very long time ago, when the world was young.

An emuu is a concept of the Finnish mythology, it is the original source of something. So the emuu of foxes (Käreitär) is the Mother of all Foxes. Most of the emuus known today are of animals or trees, but also some lifeless natural things would have an emuu. Most of them are considered to be female, but not all, so it's more like the Parent of X.

The named ones are Hongatar for the pines, Tuometar for bird cherries (that have flowers with very strong scent, peculiar in the Finnish nature) and Pihlajatar for rowans. The ending -tar indicates female, so Pilhajatar = Lady Rowan perhaps. Pines have many names in Finnish, Hongatar is from honka, but the common name is mänty, also petäjä is pretty usual. There are some known names for emuus of animals too, but not for the emuu of lynx.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:39:59 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #272 on: November 01, 2021, 05:06:36 PM »
Jitter, I'm without words! What a beautiful story! And I feel a touch of Silarillion here too!
I can see this being told around a fire at night when young Finns ask why cats are immune. Perhaps it's the story being told among our team on the chapter cover...
Well done!  <3
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #273 on: November 01, 2021, 06:03:30 PM »
Thanks Grey :) It is intended as part children’s story, part legend. We would probably tell about dogs, but for them cats are obviously most important.

And yes I am reading the Silmarillion, much to my dismay! Further whining in the relevant thread.

Everyone, I’ll try and find time to comment on the rest of the contributions. I have read and enjoyed all! Currently busy!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #274 on: November 02, 2021, 04:32:57 AM »
Jitter, I enjoyed this as well! The language flows so beautifully. And I can definitely see the Tolkien influence: I was half-waiting for someone to say "still, they will have need of wood". (It also reminds me of the rabbit legends of Watership Down, but I guess those are part of the same tradition as the Silm.)
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #275 on: November 02, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »
Eeee, most wonderful contributions for the final days! XoX And so many! Forgive me for not commenting on all of them individually, I´d write an entire novel at this rate... ^^' But I read and looked at them all! I enjoyed them very much!

I´m home now, so here come my final pieces: (Going back to spoilers for not clogging up the thread)

Spoiler: 28: Made to Order • show

One final witch for this YoinkTober! An air-witch enjoying a teabreak after having finished her new, made to order cloak (soaring through the skies gets cold after a while, you know).

Spoiler: 29: Judgement • show

I asked for my brother´s help for ideas with this one again. He told me to draw the playable character Kayle from League of Legends. Without going into too much detail, she´s half of a justice-deity, but convinced she´s the only relevant half since she does the actual judging and keeping of the laws. Me and the other half of the deity, responsible for forgiveness and the entire empathy-part, beg to disagree.

Spoiler: 30: Cats • show

This one would have worked for the next prompt too, but I chose to draw it for "Cats" since I knew I wouldn´t have much time on the next day.
Grey, I know the great Kitherion the red is an actual dragon-hatchling, but I just can´t shake this mental image... :'D

Spoiler: 31: Costume • show

As usual, one of the worst pieces is the last one... :P
I started playing Animal Crossing recently and there was a Halloween-event you were supposed to wear a costume to. I couldn´t decide which of these two to wear. In the end I wore one for half of it and then switched. :'D

Thank you again Wave for coming up with the prompts!!! I had a lot of fun drawing these! :)) And everyone else´s works were so amazing!!! I´m glad I got to see them! I do hope we´ll have another YoinkTober next year!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #276 on: November 02, 2021, 03:23:56 PM »
Mira, really loved each one! Whichever the inspiration, you always manage to make them look cute and beautiful!

But of course Kitty is my favorite!  :3  <3
And Kitty's costume is not only a costume, right? It's a self-powered set of wings that allows her to fly! And that tail extension, I'm sure, allows Kitty to control the flight with her own tail!  ;D

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #277 on: November 02, 2021, 03:55:51 PM »
Mirasol: As usual, I feel a bit weird commenting on characters from video games I don't know, but the costumes in particular look so sweet. I can see why you had a hard time choosing. Also, I too love Kitty, and see it as an echo both of Kitherion and Bosse-dressed-up-by-Emil. (Although Kitty is of course a much appropriate subject for silliness and magic than grumpy Bosse.) But my absolute favourite is the sky witch! So cosy and stylish! She'd be a fashion icon in our world.

wave: I am still processing how Yoinktober affected my life (for all my whining about lack of daily inspiration, I had more inspiration and fun than I thought possible) but I can already say that I thought the list of prompts was excellent. So varied and creative and open-ended. Would you mind sharing how you came up with them?
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #278 on: November 02, 2021, 07:10:57 PM »
Jitter, the cat story is beautifully made! I tell some of the origin stories of the creatures of several cultures I have lived in, and this has the proper feel of such things.
All of the works so far have been a delight, but I especially liked this story!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #279 on: November 03, 2021, 04:27:54 AM »
And Kitty's costume is not only a costume, right? It's a self-powered set of wings that allows her to fly! And that tail extension, I'm sure, allows Kitty to control the flight with her own tail!  ;D
... uhhhh please bear with us while we do some more R&D ... >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #280 on: November 03, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
... uhhhh please bear with us while we do some more R&D ... >:D
Definitively needs a bit more R&D, but looks pretty good so far, ready for D&D! :D

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2021, 04:21:55 AM »

wave: I am still processing how Yoinktober affected my life (for all my whining about lack of daily inspiration, I had more inspiration and fun than I thought possible) but I can already say that I thought the list of prompts was excellent. So varied and creative and open-ended. Would you mind sharing how you came up with them?

Thank you.  Thank you so much, and I'm glad you found them useful for tapping into your creativity.
Having done the original InkTober for a few years, I appreciated how the prompts were often single words that could be viewed in many different ways.  I'd been doing the Forum prompt lists on my own for a few years, then last year several of us mods contributed to the YoinkTober list, and some of those were phrases instead of single words.  Instead of insisting on single words, I decided to go with it, and I'm glad I did because it worked beautifully.
This year, a few weeks beforehand, I just sat down and riffed on the topic of transformation and change, which was the most best suggestion from @thegreyarea .  Took me maybe half an hour?
Some perennials (Cats, Food & Sigrun) were obvious, but others were just general inflection points in people's lives, where change occurs.  The fact that it was no longer tied to the Minnaverse opened up new angles. So many stories surround topics like Birth, Marriage, and Death, that are not confined to a fandom.  Others, like the Magical Girl Transformation, occur regularly in other fandoms but are not a part of SSSS per se, so now were fair game. 

Others, I can't tell you where they came from because I don't remember! XD  I never seem to have trouble coming up with ideas. 
But because I don't remember, I often found myself puzzling each day over what I would do with the day's prompt.  I certainly didn't have anything specific in mind when I made the list!

Now, what y'all did with those prompts, is nothing short of amazing.  A whole month of top-quality work! A special shout-out to the stories by tehta, lwise, LooNey and especially Jitter, Opaque and thegreyarea's double-treat of both words and pictures (speaking of Both is Good), and Mirasol's lovely drawings!  The whiplash between comedy and tragedy was especially satisfying.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2021, 11:26:29 AM »
... uhhhh please bear with us while we do some more [url deleted] ...

That cat is clearly saying, 'WTF do you think you're doing? Get me out of this thing!'

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #283 on: November 11, 2021, 01:40:50 PM »
Hi everyone!
Here goes, two (!) episodes of the SSSS/ASOIF crossover! It took a long time because we shoot them in a row, trying to keep in line with the budget, and also because Reynir is very shy and it was hard to shoot that scene...  :reynir:  ;)

After these two (ep. 5 and 6) I'll post future episodes (and the previous ones) on the SSSS scriptorium, because this yoinktober, wonderful as it was, is done.

BTW thanks to every one that contributed, and a very special thanks to Wave for the innitiative and for the excelent prompt choices. I'm very glad that I could contribute and help a little bit.  :reynir:

EDIT: Found some mistakes. My apologies.
Currently working on corrections. An updated version will be posted soon.

An Adventure of Fire and Ice

Episode 5 - Antiques

Spoiler: show
The commotion caused by the ship's fire grew around them. Soon there were people running, carrying buckets and axes, followed by dozens of merchants, sailors, beggars, guards and so on, all crowding shoulder to shoulder to watch the fight against the fire. Mikkel saw two persons being pick-pocketed, and heard bets being made over the outcome, with people trying to guess if there would be casualties and how many. Two obviously drunk sailors started their own fight, prompting a harsh intervention from the City Watch.
As they passed under the great arch back to Fishmonger's Square, walking with haste, but as casually as possible, Reynir turned to him, worried. "I hope nobody gets hurt. All I wanted was a distraction."
"Don't worry. With all this rain everything will be wet on that ship. I suppose they won't have much trouble to put out the fire." Mikkel replied. He stopped briefly at the middle of the square and turned right, leading Reynir to a much narrower street. "Let's go this way. If Olsen sends someone after us they will probably think that we, foreigners, took the Muddy Way, the fastest route back to the Red Keep."
"Yes, well thought." Reynir replied while removing and turning inside out his red coat, in a swift and skilful move, without stopping or even slowing down. He closed it, leaving his long braid out of sight, and anyone looking would only see two tall men with black hooded coats.
"This is the River Row." Mikkel commented. "It runs side by side with the City Wall along the river. We should find a store, or a bar, and get out of sight, just in case. The store I was looking for is somewhere here... It's called "Gorzach's Antiques".
Reynir looked at Mikkel, still worried. "I wish I could make the rain heavier so no one gets hurt."
"I told you not to worry. They probably solved the situation by now." He turned discreetly to check if someone was on their tail. "By the way, I didn't know that you could start a fire just like that. It will be very useful if we ever need to light a bonfire."
"But I can't! There was already a fire under a tarp, didn't you notice? I've just given the fire a little boost."
Mikkel started to laugh. "Ha-ha! You always say that as if it was easy! You must teach me, my friend!"
"Told you! I wish I could. It's just something I can do. I don't really understand how."
"And you told me that it's not something Red Priests can usually do, right?"
A bunch of children came on their direction, running after a ball. Reynir pushed Mikkel aside but that wasn't enough to prevent their coats to be splashed with mud.
Reynir swore angrily something in Lysenni and looked at his coat. "Damn! This is the inside! I'll have to wash it now! Good thing I have a spare." He looked again at the coat, disgusted. "And no, as I told you before, the Lord of the Light does grant some... capabilities to those that dedicate their lives to the faith, but this... control over fire is unheard of."
"Oh, I remember. You could already do it before joining the faith, right?"
"Yep! That's actually why I began to get interested on R'hllor. I believe he chose me for some reason, or some destiny..."
A beggar approached them, his bowl filled with rain water and a few small coins. Mikkel sighed, offering a silver quarter and being rewarded with promises of prayers to all the Seven Gods, so he and his friend were safe on their travels and tireless on their beds.
"Well, we will probably need all the blessings available, whatever the god involved." He looked at Reynir. "No offense, I hope."
"None taken. Believing in the Lord of Light doesn't imply refusing the others."
"Good, good. So, remind me, you never told anyone, except me and Sigrun, about your... talent."
"When I was learning with the priests, back on Lys, I was very young, and afraid of what they, and the other students, would think about that. You know, calling me a freak and all that."
---
Away from the busy square, the street became quieter. Mikkel began to doubt if they would find the antiques shop. Seeing a young boy sitting idle on some steps he asked if he knew well the street. Soon the boy was offering his services as a guide. "Lords, you can trust in Petri! Petri can take you to the best places in the street, or the whole city! Petri knows all the important places! And also the cleanest brothels, shops with best deals, places with good wine and ale... My lords name it, Petri takes your exellen... excellencies there!"
He was dirty, and his hair uneven, but smiled all the time. His eyes went wide when Mikkel showed him another silver quarter. "Do you know a place called Gorzach's Antiques?"
Petri scratched vigorously his head, leading Reynir to wonder if his motivation was just thinking or there were lice involved. "Hum... Sorry lord, never heard about."
"It must have a sign. A friend told me it's close to this street."
"But Petri can't read, my lord!" He kept looking at Mikkel's coin. "What do they sell?"
"Antiques, of course." Mikkel replied, however the lack of understanding on the boy's face was evident. "Old things, frippery."
"Wait! I know!" Petri said, jumping. "You mean the guy that sells old junk?"
"Not junk! Things not everyone knows how to use, or what they mean. Things..."
"Yes, Junk!" Said Reynir, interrupting. "Take us to the guy that sells old junk."
The boy started to walk towards a passage between two buildings. "Come! This way!"
Reynir followed, and so did Mikkel after a long sigh. The alley turned slightly left, leading them to a few slippery steps, and after that to a small square where the rainwater accumulated at the middle, forming a large puddle. On the opposite side a faded sign read
"Gorzach's Antiques - King's Landing best deals."
Petri had a large smile on his face and his hand, palm up, near Mikkel. "Is this the place? Can I have my coin?"
"Hum... We just walked for a minute, and it was pretty straightforward. You could have just pointed us the direction." Petri kept his arm extended, waiting, and Mikkel slipped the coin on his hand. "Anyway, you did your part on the deal, smart lad."
The kid bowed to them and began to walk back to the alley when Reynir, holding his own silver piece, stopped him. "Do you know if there's a temple of the Lord of Light somewhere around here, boy?"
Petri looked at the coin, and faced them with a serious expression for the first time. "I... I know, but what will the Seven think of me? Better not risk their wrath!" And with that he left, running.
Reynir's eyes followed the boy for a second. Then he pocketed the coin and turned to Mikkel. "Well, at least we know the temple exists. It seems the Seven don't appreciate concurrence. So unlike Braavos, with temples standing side by side."
"Don't worry, we will find it. I'll ask the shop owner. Shall we enter? I'm tired of all this rain."
---
Crossing the narrow door they found the store so filled of things that Reynir didn't know where to look. It was a large space, lightened by two small windows and some oil lamps, making the place rather dark. Large tables, covered with dozens of objects, stood without any apparent order, creating narrow passages that forced him and Mikkel to be very careful to avoid toppling over things with their coats. They made their way through the maze the other side,  to a counter also covered with things.
There was a curtain behind the counter, but no one on sight. Reynir realized the walls were also covered with frippery, some on shelves, others hanging directly. Even the ceiling  was used to hang things, including a large stuffed reptile, as long as a man, that Reynir had never seen before. It was like a dragon without wings.
Mikkel knocked on the wooden counter. "Hello! Anyone here?". Someone shouted from behind the curtain on a language Reynir didn't understand. Mikkel turned to him, smiling. "He's coming." Noticing Reynir's interest on a hand fan he showed him how to unfold it, revealing a strange dark pattern. "Curious thing, isn't it? Those are from East. Asshai, I'd guess, considering the pattern. But the boy was right, most of this is junk."
"Who says I sell junk?"
They both turned to find an old woman behind the counter. Her hair was short and white, and she wore a brown dress with many collars, including a thin black string with many dangling keys.
"I beg your pardon." Mikkel said. "I was about to add that this is junk for those that don't understand it's value."
"Hum, I see that you know how to talk your way out. I like that." She smiled. "I'm Gorzach. What can I do for you? Looking for something specific? A gift perhaps? I just received some old jewels from Volantis, and be sure any of them would make a woman..." She looked at Reynir, and then back to Mikkel, winking. "...or a man, very happy."
Mikkel moved closer to her. "Thanks, but I'm looking for something different. Really old stuff. Maps, instruments, books. A friend from Braavos told me this is the best place on Westeros to ask."
"I see. Did your friend warn you those things are quite expensive?"
A loud thump could be heard when Mikkel deposited a heavy bag over the counter. He dug his fingers in the bag, retrieving a golden coin. He gave it to Gorzach. "Yes, he did."
She bit the coin, looked at it and pulled the curtain aside. "Follow me."
There was a fairly empty room on the other side, and some stairs leading down. They descended, and Gorzach unlocked a door with one key from her collar.
The basement room had a low, curved ceiling and shelves along all walls. A single lamp stood over a table at the center. "You ask about maps? Take a look at this." She took several rolls from a shelf, placing them over the table.
They spent a long time down there. Mikkel, filled with enthusiasm, discussed with Gorzach about each thing, trying to find its origins, age and sometimes possible uses. He had, however, little disposition to explain why some objects were important and others not, and soon Reynir, terribly bored, walked around the room, inspecting the many weird and curious things on the shelves.
Mikkel was already arguing about prices when a small object captured Reynir's attention. It was a small square block as large as his palm. It's height was the same as the sides, so it looked the same whichever way Reynir placed it, without a clear top, or bottom. And each face was cut, on both directions, by two dark lines, creating nine smaller squares on each face. Each small square had a different, albeit quite faded, colour, with no clear order.
When Reynir returned to the table where Mikkel and Gorzach sit it had just a few objects over it, the results of the bargain. "So, what did you find?"
"Two maps of Sothoryos, including a good part of its Southern coast. One said to be from the Summer Islands, and the other, with annotations in High Valyrian, that allegedly belonged to Jaenara Belaerys. Few things match between both, but interesting anyway."
"Interesting? These are treasures!" Gorzach interrupted.
Mikkel's face was serious. "Considering the price you was asking they would indeed be treasures."
Reynir could see by the look on the old woman's face that Mikkel has already hammered down the price. "And those other things?"
"A bow divider, a ruler and a protractor, all doubtless old..." He looked at Reynir's puzzled face and added. "These are drawing tools, each very useful if you have the knowledge."
Mikkel grabbed a knife with a curious white blade, almost a palm long. "And this is a present for Sigrun. The blade, Gorzach says, comes from the mouth of some giant sandworm that lives deep in the great Sand Sea of Essos."
"hum... interesting." Reynir didn't know what to say. He didn't want to speak anything that might disturb the deal they already reached, but was too curious about the coloured object, and placed it over the table. "What about this? Do you know what is it for?"
Gorzach took the object and studied it near the light. "I have no idea. Didn't even remember to have it. Probably has some ritual use."
Mikkel's laugh echoed in the room. "Which means you don't have the slightest idea about its utility!"
"Do you, smart lass?"
Mikkel took the object and rotated it in his hands. "No. I don't. Where was it found?"
"I can't recall. I must have been here for a long time, and my memory is no longer the same..." She turned to Reynir, and then back to Mikkel. "Aren't you the ones from Braavos that will set sails to the West tomorrow? That will try to cross the Sunset Sea?"
Looking around as if to confirm they were alone, Mikkel nodded.
"Than you can keep it. As a gift from Gorzach."
"You don't strike me as one to offer gifts."
She gave him a wry smile. "Indeed, I'm not. But it's a custom from where I came. We give gifts to those that will never return."

An Adventure of Fire and Ice

Episode 6 - The Red God's Temple

Content Warning: There's some nudity mentioned. Way less than in Game of Thrones, anyway. :)

Spoiler: show
The rain had stopped when they left the shop. Mikkel, carrying a small bag with their acquisitions, looked at the dark clouds. "Seems this is just a pause. So, do you still want to find that temple?"
"You think that we have enough time before the sunset?"
"I guess so. And if Gorzach's indications are correct it's on our way back to the Red Keep."
They took a narrow passage that climbed between houses that looked grey and poor. There was less people around, but the proximity allowed them to hear all the domestic chatter from inside. People were talking, fighting, complaining, begging, making love... A few faces looked at them from windows, probably asking why were those hooded strangers on black coats crossing their neighbourhood.
After a few turns and hesitations they arrived at another small square where an indistinct building had a painted heart surrounded by flames over the door. Reynir smiled. "The old lady was right! This must be the temple!"
The door was open, and they found inside an empty round space lightened by several torches on the wall. There were two small doors to each side and a larger one just ahead. Soon the sound of small paws told they weren't alone in the room.
"Meow."
Reynir found the cat next to the door on their right. It was mottled, with many patterns of brow and beige over white. It came closer, hesitantly, green eyes reflecting the torch's flames.
"Meoow!"
"Perhaps he's hungry." Said Mikkel. "I might have something for him." He removed a small package from one pocket and unfolded it, showing Reynir three strips of dried meat.  Reynir took one and crouched, offering the strip on his open hand.
The cat got closer and closer and finally pulled the strip from Reynir's palm. Soon the strip disappeared.
"It's not a he, but a she."
Reynir and Mikkel turned to see a small woman on the left door. She was wearing a red coat and looked very young.
"Welcome to the temple of the Lord of Light. I'm Lith, daughter of Lieth, the priestess that cares for this temple, and I'm studying to become a priestess myself. May I ask what brings you here?"
Reynir noticed that he still had his coat turned inside out and swiftly reversed it. He kept it open, showing a red jewel that hang over his white shirt. "I'm Reynir Vhassar, a priest of R'hllor myself, and I came here to pray to our God before our departure tomorrow. And this is my friend Mikkel Forel."
Lith bowed. "Welcome priest. May your light endure, for the night is dark and full of terrors. This is your house too. We will have a small celebration when the sun sets, and you, and your friend, will be welcomed to join us."
Before Reynir could say anything he felt something touching his feet.
"Meow."
"Oh, you gave her food, and now she wants more." Lith was smiling." She lives on an abandoned house at the alley behind the temple, and since last week has three kittens to feed, so she always wants more."
It was Mikkel's turn to crouch. He placed the paper with the remaining meat on the ground. "We had one a lot like her when I was a child. What's her name?"
"Beast." Answered Lith, prompting a deep frown from Mikkel.
"Always been a fighter, this one. You must see her fighting anything that comes closer to her kittens. Then you will understand."
Meanwhile the cat came closer and began to lean her soft fur against Mikkel's hand. "Well,  lady, you're quite adorable for a beast."
Reynir moved closer to the large door. "Lith, forgive me, but we don't have time to wait for the sunset. I'll go say my prayers. Mikkel, you can stay here playing with the cat if you want."
Mikkel petted the cat's head once more and raised. "No, thanks. If you don't mind I'd like to go inside with you."
Reynir looked at Lith, that nodded. "I didn't count you as a religious person, my friend, despite all the things we shared in these years."
"I wouldn't say religious, but I see only advantages in keeping a good relation with any God."
The room beyond the door was also round, but larger, some 30 feet across, and had stone benches all around. Reynir, Mikkel and Lith stood on a platform, since the floor was almost a man's height below. The stone walls curved at the top, creating a dome that had a circular opening on its center. The skylight's stained glass depicted a red heart surrounded by a circle of yellow flames, the symbol of the Lord of the Light.
They descended some steps and Mikkel noticed a narrow circular channel at the center of the stone floor, some 10 feet across. In the middle, at the room center and exactly under the skylight, stood a single burning brazier. There were no other light sources, making the room quite dark.
"Here, my friend. Please sit while I prey. It won't take long." Said Reynir, pointing at the stone bench. Meanwhile Lith went to sit on the opposite site and began muttering some prayers.
Reynir removed his coat and folded it carefully. Then he removed his shirt, boots, pants and underwear, also folding each one. Naked, apart from the string which held the red jewel, he took his clothes and placed them on a niche under the entrance platform.
Mikkel observed with curiosity. He was sure to have seen Reynir naked before, taking a bath perhaps, but didn't recall well how he looked. Maybe he had never paid attention before. Reynir stood close to the brazier, and Mikkel could see that despite being lean and tall his friend wasn't weak. The strong contrast between light and shadow revealed firm muscles with almost no fat, together with many freckles that spread over his chest, back, arms and legs. The long red braid reached his knees. Mikkel didn't feel attracted to men, but had to admit that presently Reynir looked gorgeous.
He noticed that Lith was also observing with attention, and wondered if it this kind of nakedness was usual on their celebrations.
Reynir took a small wooden stick from under the brazier and set the tip over the fire. He held the burning stick straight and came closer to the channel on the floor. When Reynir bent with his improvised torch Mikkel realized that the narrow gap was filled with some liquid, that ignited as soon as the flames touched it.
The fire spread fast along the channel, and in a moment Reynir was surrounded by a circle of fire. He looked up to the skylight and raised his arms, and began to sing on a language Mikkel didn't understand, except for the word "R'hllor". Reynir's pale skin looked as if he was in flames himself, and suddenly the fire became stronger and higher, creating a curtain of intense light around him.
The spectacle lasted for a minute or two, and Mikkel was already sweating from all the heat, when the singing stopped and the fire suddenly receded and seemingly extinguished itself, leaving a sweaty Reynir smiling at the center of the chamber.
Lith, on the opposite side, was startled, mouth open in amazement, while Reynir walked to retrieve his clothes as if nothing had happened. "It's done. I believe that R'hllor will send his blesses upon us on our adventure."
"Oh, that was... something! I've never seen the fire behaving that way! "Lith said, and there was a reverential touch on her voice. "The Lord of Light must have you on high account, priest, and we were blessed to have you on our humble temple."
There was little light in the room, but Mikkel could swear that Reynir blushed.
---
Leaving the temple, Mikkel looked around for the cat, but couldn't find her anywhere.
"She must be at the back alley, feeding her kittens." Said Lith, still looking respectfully at Reynir. "I wish you safe travels, priest. May R'hllor always cast his light over you and your friends, to push away the darkness and show the right path."
"Thanks, Lith, to you and your mother. Stay under the Lord's light."
"Will you come back? I mean... one day, after your voyages? I would like that... very much." She said, with a smile that clearly told that Reynir could expect a particularly warm welcome if he ever comes back, and bringing to Mikkel's imagination an image of Reynir and Lith both naked, together inside the circle of flames.
Mikkel shook his head, trying to focus. "We should go, Reynir. It's already raining again and looks like it will be pouring down soon."
They left Lith and the temple behind, but hadn't walk much before hearing a commotion from a very narrow alley. It involved people shouting and intense barking, clearly from a large dog. Seconds later they heard a whimper, followed by silence. Two men from the city watch came out of the alley, their uniforms spilled with blood.
"Damn animal! Did it bit you?" The older guard said. He kept his sword out, and it dripped blood on the stones.
The other, carrying a spear, replied. "Bless be the Warrior, no, it didn't! You?"
"I'm fine. One must be careful. One bite and you're over."
Mikkel approached the duo. "Forgive my curiosity. What happened?"
"A rabid dog! Big one! Some residents called us to deal with it, and now it's done."
"You mean you killed it."
"Yes, before it killed someone, like that cat on the alley."
Reynir could hear Mikkel gulping. He thanked the guards for their bravery and walked fast, almost running, into the alley. Reynir followed, already guessing what happened.
Soon he found Mikkel crouched on a corner, his hand caressing Beast's fur. The cat remained immobile. He could hear the soft meows from her kittens coming from a hole on a wall. Fallen next to the opposite wall he saw the lifeless body of a fairly large dog, covered in blood.
"She's gone. I think it just threw her, or stepped over her, I don't know... I see no bites. Maybe it broke her neck... Poor thing." Mikkel stood up. "And the kittens will probably die too, without their mother. They are too young."
Reynir knew Mikkel for a long time, and they have faced many troubles together, but this was the first time he saw that massive and cool-headed man shed a tear.
"Let's go, Reynir. I need a drink." He wiped his eyes and started to walk away, while Reynir stood there, looking at the dead cat.
---
"Tell me how you did that." Mikkel's tankard was almost empty, and he already ordered another one. Reynir, on the other hand, felt to tired to drink.
"I don't know. I never did anything like that before. I just heard... stories, but they all seemed unbelievable... Before today."
Mikkel emptied his cup. They were sitting on a dark corner of the half-empty tavern, away from other customers, and nobody seemed to care about them. Still he moved closer to Reynir and spoke on a low tone, almost a whisper. "The cat was dead. I saw it. However I also saw you knelling by her, saying some prayers and breathing over her, and she started to move! And when we left the place she was feeding her kittens as if nothing had happened!"
Reynir tried to recall exactly what he had done. "All I did was to pray to R'hllor, asking him to send his light and his fire... And I imagined the cat as we saw her before, healthy and full of life... that was it. I felt an intense heat inside of me, and blew over the cat and... and I think something like... a shadow came out of my mouth and fell over her and... Well, you know the rest."
Mikkel looked around, as if afraid that someone might be hiding, and spoke even lower. "You can't just go around resurrecting dead cats as if it's normal, Reynir! Think on the implications! If you, or your god, can do that with a cat..."
"Yes, I see! I've heard about some high priestess doing that to persons a long time ago, but thought it was just a legend!"
The waitress arrived with a filled tankard, interrupting them. "M'lords, let me remind you that we have another room on the back where you can put your luck to test."
"Thanks, but we don't gamble."
"Your loss, charming man, I feel that this could be your lucky day. Is there anything more I can do for you?" She said, winking to Mikkel.
"No, we're fine." He gave a coin to the woman. "You can keep the change."
"Oh, not only charming but generous! I hope you both come back tomorrow, maybe on a better mood."
"I'm afraid that it won't be possible. Thanks anyway."
She made a disappointed face and left. Mikkel and Reynir drank in silence for a few moments until Mikkel, having finished his beer, decided to find a place to pee before walking back to the Red Keep. The waitress pointed to a door at the back, close to the gambling room.
On his way back to their table Mikkel heard a familiar voice.
"Yeah!!! I won!"
He crossed the curtain to the other room and found a group playing cards around a table. To his astonishment Sigrun was among them, and judging by her expression had just won big time.
"Hello, gorgeous! You arrived just on time to see my crushing victory!" She said, collecting a large pile of coins from the table while the others, all men, whispered among themselves.
"Didn't you tell me this day would be dedicated to rest, getting ready to our departure?"
"Well, I got bored with resting, and since you and Reynir were away..."
Mikkel smiled. "Sig, I know you. This was your plan, one day of gambling and drinking before we get on the ship... unless you lost it on some bet!"
Sigrun stood up and hugged Mikkel. "Silly, I don't do that kind of thing anymore! Tell me about your afternoon. Is everything loaded? You found that shop? Where's Reynir?"
"You don't do that kind of thing because we don't let you, my dear. Now let's go."
"Just one more turn! Lucky is on my side!"
Mikkel just stared at her, and she stared back. They held each other's gaze for a few seconds, but this time it was Sigrun who gave up. "Fine, we go now! I'm already getting tired of winning."
The four men around the table stood up, looking angry. "That's true, winning most of the time. Nobody has such luck." Said one of them.
"She must have been cheating us!" Said other. "And now your henchman comes to tell you  it's time to go! I say it's all set up!"
Another man draw a knife. "And I say you go, but leave our money. We won't get intimidated by that guy. We are four against two!" And with that the others also drew their knives.
Sigrun looked at them while her hand moved to grab her own knife, just to find it was missing. "Oops. I guess my knife stayed at home. You don't happen to have a spare one with you, my dear?" But when she finished asking Mikkel was already holding the knife he bought on the antiques shop. "Oh! What's this?"
Sigrun took a sip from her tankard while grabbing the knife on her right hand. The men around the table paused for a moment when they saw the strange white blade gleaming as crystal. She examined it, smiling. "Is this what I think? From the great Sand Sea?"
Mikkel nodded, and Sigrun gave him a brief kiss. "You're awesome! I love it! Now keep being a good man and hold my beer, please?"
"Just try not to kill anyone, right?"
She gave the tankard to Mikkel and winked, turning to face the four men, knife ready.
"You said it's four against two? You're wrong. It's four against me! Now, who wants to dance?"

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 05:18:26 PM by thegreyarea »