Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?  (Read 25320 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »
What kind of explosives can it smell? Can it smell something, that will only become explosive, being mixed with it's
stomach acid?
Can it smell a capacitator powerfull enough, to zap it dead from the inside?
So much possibilities and I only came to see them now T_T
Maglor, I like the way you think.
I've told on some post before that if I lived in Y90 I would probably have a workshop to make traps and devise clever ways to kill troll and beasts. We could work together! :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2021, 01:36:10 AM »
Day 2:  Woodland Sounds

In the Forum, it's the middle of the night.  What can you hear in the middle of the night?  Jitter tells us.

After another day of rowing, they camped again. They had seen many inhabited islands, with their lakewalls and guard posts. Emil had entertained the idea that they should spend the night in a village, maybe get decent beds too. But Onni thought it was too much of a hassle, and time consuming, and Reynir supported him. Lalli was happier outside of villages in any case.

This time they chose a larger island. They had to climb a bit from the beach, where they had tied the boat, but found a good spot on a hill that dropped steeply on most sides. As there was plenty of room, Lalli and Emil took the tarp and asked Reynir to paint another confusion stave for them. Admittedly the small tent was a bit crowded with three people inside. The campsite was nice and the weather pleasant. Lalli and Emil withdrew to their camp quite soon, and Onni took the first watch. Reynir declared he’d sleep like a baby, with the whole tent for his disposal.

Reynir lay down and bundled up in the blankets. The sighing of the waves had ceased already. I wonder why the wind quiets in the evening? he wondered idly. Treetops were still rustling in the remaining evening wind, but soon that would quiet too. Some muffled words carried over from Lalli and Emil’s camp, but all in all it was very silent. Reynir dozed off. After a short while he woke with a start. It was really really quiet. Too quiet! Maybe something had happened to Onni? As quietly as possible Reynir crawled to the tent flap. Onni was sitting on the log they had placed as a seat, looking up at the pale summer sky. He looked very peaceful. Reynir sighed with relief and crawled back to bed. Time to sleep…

*creak* *creak* *creak* *creak* *creak* *creak*… What was that! A weird creaking sound startled Reynir again. What could it possibly be? Maybe an old troll had been dormant nearby, so deeply that Lalli hadn’t felt it, and was now waking up and arranging its limbs? Many, many limbs! Maybe its ribcage was opening up and… “Onni! Onni!” Reynir whispered desperately.

“What is it? Do you feel something?” Onni was immediately alarmed.

“No, I hear it! Something must be moving nearby!”

“What do you mean? I don’t hear anything suspicious?”

“How can you not hear it? That weird creaking?”

Suddenly Onni chuckled. “Oh, that! Don’t worry, it’s just… sammakoita. I don’t know the word in Icelandic. A small animal. They make the sound in their breeding season. They are this big.” Onni made a gesture with his thumb and index finger.

Reynir felt sheepish. “Oh. I see. I have never heard such a sound before. It’s weird.”

“Maybe you don’t have them in Iceland. Go back to sleep now.”

Listening to the creaking was kind of soothing, now that he knew what it was. Soon Reynir drifted to sleep. Only to be woken up by Onni crawling into the tent. “Your turn now. Wake Lalli next.”

Sitting outside, Reynir noticed how very silent it was in the middle of the night. The creaking animals had quieted down, and there was no wind. Very peaceful. Onni didn’t even snore. Occasionally something rustled in the trees, but Reynir had been assured the spot was safe so he didn’t mind.

After his watch Reynir tiptoed to wake Lalli. Emil protested quietly for having to let Lalli go, but Lalli was as silent as a shadow. Reynir went back to their tent, nudged Onni until he made enough room for him too, and went back to sleep.

A piercing cry cut the cool nighttime air. “Kuiiiiii kuiiiii kuiiiiiii” followed by a loud drumming. Again, Reynir startled. He jumped straight up throwing the blankets around. Unfortunately, in his momentary panic he forgot he was in a tent and so he got tangled in the canvas.

“What is it now?” Onni protested.

“It’s… something’s screaming! And I’m stuck!”

“Reynir. Calm down. That is a woodpecker. They are loud, yes, but harmless.”

“A woodpecker?”

“Yes. It’s a bird. Stop struggling and I’ll help you with the canvas. How is all this new for you? You traveled through Finland for weeks that one summer?”

“Well, yes, but we were many people in one tent. And let me tell you, Sigrun snores. Loudly and incessantly. I didn’t need to worry about any other nighttime sounds!”

“I see. Now, can we please try to sleep a bit? We’ll have to row tomorrow again.”

“Yeah. I’m sorry. I won’t mind the woodpecker anymore.”

But soon (too soon!) it was Onni, who was shaking Reynir awake. “Is it morning already? I haven’t slept an eyeful!” Reynir groaned.

“No, not yet. But since you haven’t heard the nighttime sounds… come with me. It’s worth it, I promise. Keep quiet.” Onni guided Reynir to the edge of the camp. “Listen.”

After they stopped, Reynir heard it. Birdsong. First it was just one singer, but as they waited and the night progressed towards morning, more and more voices joined. Finally, the air was filled with music. Many different songbirds calling, in the trees, in the rushes at the beach, at the edge of a nearby meadow. It was fantastic, filling Reynir’s heart with joy. Joy of life, joy of being alive, of being surrounded by living, healthy things, despite this being, nominally, the Silent World.

“It’s… it’s so beautiful! I didn’t know there were so many different songbirds! How did you make this happen?”

“Me? I didn’t do anything. This is what they do, this time of year. Assuming of course no grosslings around. I just woke you up to listen.”

“Thank you for this. Thank you so much. I’m very glad you did.”

“Good. Now, let’s get back to sleep.”

Notes: sammakoita = frogs (singular: sammakko)
Iceland doesn't have any amphibians, and very few species of songbirds. The birdlife is rich and varied, but  heavily leaning on seabirds with only a few species of passerine birds. Some of those do sing, but there's nothing like the chorus of different singers in the wee hours of nights in the early summer here in Finland. We get loads of birdsong in the daytime too, but the night singers are even more impressive because otherwise it's so quiet. Iceland also has no woodpeckers, which is a shame as they are quite lovely birds. Except if they find something nice and loud in your house that they think is good for drumming!

Don't be fooled by Wikipedia's "birds of Iceland" list. It includes all species that have been sighted there even once.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2021, 01:49:01 AM »
<3 I love everything about this! Thank you, Jitter, and wavewright62 for sharing it!
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2021, 03:08:35 AM »
Summer and spring nights are like that in many places. I enjoy the sounds of the nights.

The first two entries are good. Let us try to keep up that standard!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 03:44:15 AM »
Indeed, madame, you are correct. 

Maglor, you are seeing whole new ways to approach and dispatch bears, eh?  I know you have a contribution later in the break (sshhh, no spoilers from me)(but it's gonna knock your socks off, people, shhh), but can you perhaps see how to dispatch our unclaimed bears Kusiaistennuolija, Hallavanahka or Pöppö?  Let Jitter know if the lightbulb moment comes.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Sevseres

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2021, 04:16:09 AM »
Thank you for today Jitter. Your writing always brings such coziness <3
It made me think of a nice song. I'll put it under spoiler. Album it belongs to is completely songbird themed and I really love it.
Spoiler: show
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 04:30:03 AM »
Sevseres, that is lovely. Many traditional songs and a few modern orchestral compositions use birdsong as part of their structure. I like it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 04:45:18 AM »
And now I'm looking up Cosmo Sheldrake! Thank you so much, Sevseres! <3
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2021, 07:16:37 AM »
I hope the mage actually can turn hairs blue, I feel like those two would haunt the guy forever otherwise! I had enough experience with kids to know that  :onni:
I note that he didn't say anything about what pattern it'd be in. Polka dots in three different hues of blue, anyone? >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2021, 07:17:54 AM »
Now I am wondering how trollification of mammals would have changed the nightly sonds of the forests. Because it would add troll noises, but I would expect less wild boar activity and they can be loud.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2021, 09:19:53 AM »
Jitter, lovely as always. It's a while until "Night in the forest", but there are some similarities - I promise mine was done before I saw this!

Thank you for today Jitter. Your writing always brings such coziness <3
It made me think of a nice song. I'll put it under spoiler. Album it belongs to is completely songbird themed and I really love it.

Pretty song! It reminded me of Einojuhani Rautavaara's Cantus Arcticus for orchestra and tape. I found this very neat video that shows the score, fascinating to see the notes about the tape. It's more melancholy, I suppose, but I find it quite beautiful.
/>
I find the bird sounds sadly hard to hear in the one above, so here's one with the birds more audible.
/>
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2021, 11:17:35 AM »
Jitter I like your story. I can totally imagine Reynir being spooked by frogs and thinking it was a troll. Last summer I went camping with some friends and we were surprised and fascinated by the sound of the nearby colony of midwife toads that were calling each night. In Swiss German we call them Glögglifrösch, meaning “bell frogs”.

And “where from, where to are they travelling?” I ask myself, not expecting an answer.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »
Thanks guys <3 I’m happy I have brought some joy!

I tried to find examples of the night singers (yölaulajat) but pretty much everything I found has speech on top of the birds! Or sounds of traffic etc. Here’s something nevertheless

/>
(This one has lots of blackbird, which is one of my favorites although perhaps a bit earlier than my story)

Groupoid, there is context! I was writing a longer story, but for whatever reason I was not able to work on it for the past week (yes, the reason is All This, I’m sure you guessed) so I cut only the actual Woodland sounds part. I’m not answering the question now, because maybe I will manage to write the actual story too after all :)

🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2021, 12:31:44 PM »
I´m loving this so far! (Too bad I don´t have that much time to contribute this time around...)

Wave, your contribution was hilarious, really the kind of content I needed right now! (You may expect your obligatory drawing of blue-haired soldiers in this thread somewhere in the middle of next week, once my exams are through for now. ;) I hope it´s still ok if I draw it a bit later, but the mental image is just too funny...)

Jitter, I really liked your story as well, it was really sweet! I love how Onni immediately rolled back when Reynir thanked him for showing the beautiful sounds. Like "Yeah no, I totally only did this so you let me sleep, don´t be weird about it!" :'D
I would be very interested in the rest of the story, but of course you don´t have to write it if you don´t find the motivation. All This(TM) has taken a toll on my motivation as well, so I understand where you´re coming from.

I´ve also been enjoying those bird-songs very much.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2021, 12:32:16 PM »
Jitter, that's one lovely short story! I hope you manage to finish the whole thing.

sevseres, Vulpes and Jitter, thank you so much for sharing all that beauty! That made my day! :)

So I leave you with something different: Brazilian nocturnal birds. Surely some (all?) would surprise Reynir...  O_O

Note: It's 8 min. long, and there's a biologist talking in Portuguese. Sorry for not having english captions, but I think it can be appreciated anyway. (it does have the Scientific name of each species).

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society