Author Topic: The Forum Advent Calendar 2020  (Read 13544 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: The Forum Advent Calendar 2020
« Reply #210 on: December 25, 2020, 07:33:21 AM »
Thank you thank you thank you Wave for organizing this again, and for everyone for the lovely contributions and comments!

This has been a delight, and even more important than at an average year as a way of bringing community and camaraderie into the middle of all the distancing and restrictions on meetings!

Ps Grey I can’t wait for the continuation! No, strike that off, I can. Take time to celebrate with your family first!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #211 on: December 25, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »
pff, I didn´t know the song before, but your last contribution was hilarious, Wave! :'D Who would have guessed a Rubiks Cube of all things would save the situation...

And Grey, what an awesome story! And what a cliffhanger! O_O I´ll be looking foreward to the continuation!

In repeating myself: Thank you so much, Wave, for organizing this event!!! And thank you for letting me be a part of it! :))
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #212 on: December 25, 2020, 10:29:00 AM »
Oh my, all the extraordinary extras! Wave, as if you didn't do enough organizing this, you come back and give us a wonderful filk and drawing. And grey, that is one spooky Christmas tale - I'm eager to read the conclusion. Double cliffhangers - here and in the comic.  O_O

Thanks again to all for the great stories, art, and recipes, and Wave again for organizing. I don't do Christmas, other than taking a break and eating too much, so like Wave, this is my Christmas. It's such fun seeing everyone's take on the comic, and various traditions from around the world.

Here's to a less fraught 2021!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #213 on: December 25, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
Hello my friends! I'm out of the cave where I've been working these last days to bring you the second part of my story.

I've been working hard to finish it, so I didn't had time to properly introduce it. The story name is "A Midsummer Night's Christmas Dream" *gets slapped by Shakespeare's ghost* playing with the title of that amazing work. *ghost laughs and fades away* I'm glad he had a great sense of humour...

It was inspired by my previous contribution for this calendar (see day 16) and I just had to write it... I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and I wish you all an amazing Christmas, Holidays, New Year, Easter, Midsummer and on and on... :)

I didn't had time to get my poor daughter to proofread. Wave was kind enough to check the first part, but parts 2 and 3 will be posted here "as they are". So please accept my apologies and please forgive my crimes against the English language.
Later I'll post the complete, fully proofread story on AO3.

Part 3 will be posted tonight.

So here it goes:
Spoiler: show

A Midsummer Night's Christmas Dream

Part 2

Reynir backed away, terrified, until his back hit the wall. "No! That can't be! You're gone! Anne took you away!"
He blinked, and the lights were back. The room was clean and perfect again, except for the barely visible stain on the wall. Reynir left as fast as he could, just to find the same young man standing on the corridor. He was thin and tall, with a gaunt face, dark hair and plain, dark clothes. So similar, he noticed, with the shadow.
"Who or what are you?" Reynir shouted. "What's this place?" The man remained silent, but the light flickered and, to Reynir's astonishment, they were back at the main room.
"Got you Reynir!" one of the kids said, running back to the game base. At that moment, however,  Reynir couldn't care less. He only had eyes for the strange man. "So, you're going to talk, or not?"
He nodded and in a flash they were at one corner of the room, siting on some comfy armchairs. "Y... you... want... talk." It wasn't a question. He spoke as someone that had trouble to remember each word.
"Who are you? Are you a ghost?" This seemed to intrigue the man. It took him some time to answer.
"I am... your host... My name... is... it starts with... p... Some things are... harder to... remember... then others. Has... been a long... time... since I... talked to... someone."
He took a glass of juice from a table that wasn't there just a moment before and sipped it. "How you... know? How you... see me?" He was already speaking better.
"I'm a mage, and looks like I'm pretty good at seeing spirits. So what's this all about? How are we here? What's this party?"
"Why, this is... Christmas, can't you see?" noticing the lack of understanding on Reynir's face he sighed. "So you don't... know what it is. How much... time passed?"
"You mean, since the Rash? We are on year 91."
"So no more Christmas at the end of the... year? Can't say I'm... surprised... Are there many... survivors? Did you found a way to... win the Rash?"
Reynir already decided that the less that man knew the better. "There are some survivors, but not many. And no, we didn't win. However some are immune to it, and there are a few safe places. We don't celebrate that Christmas you mentioned, altoughwe still have a party at the end of the year. It's called Yule."
"I recall that name... So, back to... pagan stuff... The rest of the World, is it... still full of... infected?" He moved closer. "Tell me more."
"Look, P, ghost or whatever, I won't tell you a thing before some explanations!"
He looked intensely, and Reynir got a glimpse of the shadow's fiery look, but then the man relaxed back on the armchair. "Fine... Why not? We have... all the time."
"First, back to my question. Where we are, and what's happening?"
"You are in my... dream. My Christmas dream."
"How? Why?"
"I don't... know how I do it. I just dream. As for why... don't you see? Now we have a... perfect party, and we are all... safe, forever!"
"Safe forever? I don't understand."
A low table materialized in front of them, with a large screen over it. Reynir had seen those before... Maybe in Reykjavik? He noticed that Onni was close, playing with some kids, but they seemed unaware of their conversation.
Suddenly a picture of the house appeared on the device. There was sunlight, and no decorations. Then a boat was arriving at a small pier. The persons inside didn't seem happy, but rather broken, and exhausted.
"We were... very rich, back then. My family owned this house, and the whole island. Me, my parents, sisters, brothers, uncles and... cousins, we managed to... reunite here, after all the... madness."
"Hard times, I suppose."
The image changed, showing crowded streets where people fought and throw things at each other. There was smoke, fire, and gunshots.
"You have no...Idea. The World didn't end with a... whimper. Everything went mad! Nobody knew for sure what was happening. Governments and... co... communications no longer worked. There were... rumours about war, cures for the disease, prophets, monsters eating people... and many... even believed it was all lies, part of some great... conspiracy to... scare people and rule the World. Everybody just wanted to run away and find a safe place. There were mortal fights over food, water... and people were hoarding all they could, from medicines to toilet paper!"
The images changed as he spoke. A group running towards a plane, ant then, seen from above, a very large city in flames.
"We held this island as a safe place. My... crazy uncle... can't recall his name... he always believed something like the Rash could happen, so we had... pro...provisions. We arranged our Christmas party just as planned previously, months before the Rash." He pointed at the fireplace, where Mikkel and the others still entertained the children.
"We even had hired some people to play Santa and his elves, dressed like you and your friends... Of course by then we knew those would never come.
Even if sometimes we heard... shots and explosions far away, we were grateful for being away from all the madness, and did our best to hide any fears and doubts from the kids.
One day my uncle managed to make... radio contact with some friends in... Denmark. They told about some new medicine, and were... confident that this one would work. Uncle offered them to stay here with us if they brought it."
Now the screen showed one man in rags, bleeding and limping. He carried a metallic suitcase. "All the adults went to the... airport to protect their... ar... arrival, and I stayed to care for the children. But my father was the only one to return. Before dying he made me... swear that I would take care of the kids."
Now the young man looked older, and sad.
"And you believed that taking the new medicine would protect you from the Rash."
"Sure. I gave it to the children after... dinner. They became... sleepy, but seemed fine, and I put each one in bed with a kiss. Then I took it too. And we never had our Christmas party."
Reynir felt sorry for the man. Such weight over his shoulders. However he needed to know more.
"So neither of you awakened again."
He nodded.
"What happened then?"
"I always had had vivid dreams, and since the Rash they were becoming stronger, but also stranger. I found myself able to walk into other's dream. There was also a strange ocean where's always night..."
"Wait, I know that! I've been there! So you are a mage."
"Mage? Maybe, if you say so... Then I found the children, dreaming too, but alone and frightened. So I took them all to my dream, where they could be together, safe from any harm." Reynir felt a deep sadness, and the lights in the room seemed to dim a bit.
"I took me a long time to... understand why the dream never ended... That we died, and were abandoned. I've never been a... believer, but why those little souls would be left in this... awful place? I don't think there's any God around, at least no... merciful one."
"But..."
"I got it confirmed when, at some point, managed to look at... reality outside the dream. I watched the dust over our bones, saw monsters roaming at night across Joensuu's streets... I couldn't watch further, it was all so sad..."
"You thought there were no survivors"
"Yes, until you people came!" He smiled, and the lights came back to normal. "Now we have company, and I can save you."
"Save? Us?"
"Yes, here you are safe. We can all live here, forever! We will be good friends, you will see!"
"No! If we never wake up we will die too! We need to go!"
"Look how happy the children and your friends are. Isn't that better than a life of fear and struggle? You will be safe, always young and healthy. I can change the clothes if you wish, and if you don't like the pointed ears..."
"I don't care about the ears! We have our lives to live! We are in a mission, and after that there will be other things to..."
"And other fights, and even if you survive it all you will get old and die. Pointless!"
"Look, there's more! We found others like you before, that took that medicine, and they found a path to the afterlife."
"Oh! Prey tell me! Where's that path?"
"I don't know! It was Anne. She showed them the path."
"Well, then unless this Anne comes here to convince me, you stay."
And he was gone.
Reynir needed to talk to Onni. If he could be awakened they would find, together, a way out of that nightmare.
He saw Mikkel playing with two kids on a small kitchen set, with Kitty still perched over his head. Meanwhile Sigrun and two smaller kids inserted knifes in a small... barrel? With a little toy man inside. Suddenly the toy popped-up in the air, and they all laughed.
Lalli was in a corner, but swiftly dismissed Reynir attempts to talk as he showed to an older girl how a coloured cube worked.
Emil was too occupied trying to bankrupt some kids on Monopoly, as he said. Reynir, of course, had no idea of what "bankrupt" and "monopoly" meant...
Tuuri, as he expected, was playing cards. She remained translucent, but returned to her human shape. Seeing Tuuri like this undermined Reynir's resolve. He liked her so much, and never managed to express how devastated he got whit her death. For one moment he wondered how it would be if she... they had a second chance.
She was holding the deck in her delicate hand. "Rey, come! Play with us! We're starting a new game!"
"L... Later, thanks! I'll go outside for a short walk."
"Fine, but don't take long. I bet it's very cold!"
Outside, next to the big decorated tree, Onni was busy teaching three kids how to use a bow to put arrows on a round target that stood a few meters away. It never occurred to Reynir that Onni enjoyed so much being with kids.
"Onni, we need to talk!" Reynir tried to stop him, and as he wouldn't give him any attention he grabbed and shook him. "This is all a dream! I need your help! We must find a way to wake the others and get out!"
"What, they also serve alcohol in that table? This is no dream! I know the dreamworld way better than you! This is reality, and a fine one. Now go bother Lalli! The kids want to learn with the best archer around!"
Reynir insisted and begged but Onni simply wouldn't listen. After much insistence Reynir gave up and walked away. Soon he found a path that ended in the small pier, where their host seemingly was waiting for him.
"Trying to... escape, Reynir? I really don't know if I can... retain you here. But your friends, as you saw, are happy and want to stay."
"They don't! They are ensnared by your illusion! If you showed them reality they would leave the next moment!"
"Maybe, but aren't you in some mission in a land filled with perils? What if one, or several of you dies tomorrow in the claws of some beast? Letting you go would be... irresponsible."
"You vowed to protect your children, not us!"
"I won't let... anyone else die out there. I already lost the souls of my parents. I searched and searched and couldn't find them."
"Because they found their way! Somehow they found the path to... beyond, whatever it is."
"No, I don't believe there's any path to some beautiful afterlife, Reynir. There's just this, and annihilation, and unless you, or your friend Anne, convince me otherwise, I won't let anybody else go."
And, again, Reynir was alone.
Reynir sat on the pier, staring at the water. He didn't knew what to do. Try to reach the Lehto and wake up his friends? Considering what Lalli told about that time when he was trapped inside Emil's mind that trick probably wouldn't work.
He could try to find help elsewhere, but had no desire to leave the others in the hands of their so called host.
He could also play the game and live there for a while. It could be good, and maybe after some time he would find a way to wake up Onni. But what if he liked it too much? Would he still wish, or be able, to leave?
Reynir remained lost in his thoughts when he heard soft footsteps approaching. Out there in the open he feared that some dangerous creature would find him appetizing and was ready to run when he saw that it was a dog. As it arrived Reynir recognized, with great joy, his Fylgja.
"Hello! It's so good to see you! Where have you been?"
The dog wagged its tail and came closer. Reynir stroke lightly its head, and it licked his hand.
Then he had an idea. "Hey, do you remember Anne? That kind lady we met in a church? The one that helped us with the ghosts?"
The dog stopped licking and looked at Reynir. "Do you think you could help me to find her? If she could talk to this ghost... Maybe she could show him, and the children, the way, as she did before. Can you? Do you know where she is?"
The dog looked intensely at him.
"Oh, why am I talking to you? Of course you don't know! But finding her is the best idea I had so far. Would you come with me? Help me find the way?"
The dog just keep looking.
Reynir readied himself. Maybe he should warn them that he would be gone for a while...
"You have no idea of what you're asking, do you?"
"What! You do speak, after all!"
"I spoke to you before. Now you just left me without words. You want me to guide you to meet Anne. Do you realize that she's not in this World anymore?"
"Hum... Are you trying to say that you can guide me there, but it's too far away? Or that it's too dangerous? Anyway I don't care. I must try!"
"Sneaking through the dark land between Worlds is not to be taken lightly, Reynir Árnason. Dangerous? It's the most dangerous thing I can think of. Few tried, very few succeeded."
"I said I don't care. Let's go! If it's a long journey we have to start now, or it may be too late when we come back."
"Sometimes I wish you haven't such a brave and valorous heart. It will be as you desire. Don't worry about time, tough. It is... relative. One that ventures in those regions will feel as a month went by, but it would be just an hour for those awaken, or a day here. That's how long you will wait. If I haven't came back by this time, tomorrow, then I will not come back at all."
"Wait here? But I want to go. They are my friends!"
"True, and noble. Nevertheless, I shall go alone." And the dog ran fast across the placid lake, leaving Reynir before he could say anything more.

End of part 2
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #214 on: December 25, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
I’m afraid I’ve been quite the lurker for the latter most of this advent calendar, but I have been enjoying the art, recipes, and wonderful stories immensely!! Thank you so much Wave for again organizing this and bringing so much holiday cheer (especially during such an eventful bad year), as well as that heart-warming thank you at the end (you may have melted my heart there a bit), and everyone who contributed (especially those that did two things!)!!!! Not enough exclamation marks to express the gratitude!!!!!! Happy holidays everyone!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:01:28 PM by Alkia »
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #215 on: December 25, 2020, 06:28:54 PM »
This whole thing has been amazing! Thank you to all the contributors for your beautiful and heartfelt works. And a double helping of thanks to Wavewright for organising this again - it has been great!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #216 on: December 25, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »
Hello again my friends :)

As promised here I am to deliver the final part of the story and become guilty of a few more crimes against the English language. (where one applies for a Christmas Pardon?)

As I said I'll post later (hopefully in a few days) the complete, fully proofread story on AO3.

So here it goes:
Spoiler: show

A Midsummer Night's Christmas Dream

Part 3

Reynir decided that he should spend the following hours the best he could. Not only it would prevent him to go mad counting every minute, but also lead their host to believe that he was pondering his offer.
Therefore he played, joked, pranked, drank and ate all that he was able to. They even made jokes with each other's pointed ears. And Tuuri declared them officially cute and charming!
At some point they were all dancing some Finnish music called Humppa1, played by two of the older kids. Onni, Lalli and Tuuri already knew the dance, while Reynir, Emil and Sigrun's awkward attempts had an hilarious effect over the audience. Yet Reynir, as the others, didn't care. They were just having fun.
Nobody laughed at Mikkel, though, because the fourth non-Finnish guest danced flawlessly.
"So you never told me that you have been in Finland before." Sigrun probed after she tried, and hilariously failed, to follow him.
He replied with a smile. "A long story. I'll tell you one day."
Later they asked for some relaxing music, and soon were dancing slowly, close to each other. All but Onni, who was in the kitchen with the some kids to make cakes.
Mikkel kept dancing perfectly with a much surprised Sigrun. Emil and Lalli were fine too, except for Emil occasionally stepping over Lalli's feet, and Reynir tried his best with Tuuri. They were happy and relaxed, and by the third dance they were surprised by Mikkel and Sigrun kissing, soon followed by Emil and Lalli.
Tuuri smiled and looked into Reynir's eyes. "Shouldn't we... dance to their tune?"
Before he could think on an answer she was pulling him, and the next moment they were kissing. Her mouth had a peculiar freshness, as if she had just chewed mint and drank cold water from a mountain spring. It was, however, a brief kiss, because soon Onni and the kids entered the room, loudly announcing their just-baked-still-hot cakes.
They separated, still holding hands, and he could swear her translucent cheeks had a shade of pink.
They spent the rest of the day together, and what a great day it was!
Now a part of him longed for nothing but remaining in that blissful place, in the company of his friends and those wonderful children. The real word seemed a distant bad dream that he would happily forget.
However, each look through Tuuri's body was a strong reminder that their lives weren't lines on some short story, played on that dreamy island. They were parts of a greater narrative, and it was his responsibility to find a way back to where they belonged.
After dinner Reynir returned to the pier, and waited. Their host soon joined him, a faint smile in his face. "Glad to see you still with us, Reynir. Already changed your mind?"
He came closer, and a shudder rocked Reynir's body. "Do I feel love in the air, Reynir? I could... surely hear it this afternoon. Your friends Emil and Lalli were... discreet, but I had to block all sounds coming from Mikkel and Sigrun's room." His smile became a bit more noticeable. "You and Tuuri also seem to be getting along just fine..."
"Stop. Let us go, please!" Reynir turned back and followed the path towards the big decorated tree, but soon the man was walking by his side.
"Are you sure Reynir? When you and your friends are enjoying so much your time here? Even Onni, that has no pair, is happy. He seems to have a special affinity with the kids, have you noticed? They love him! Did you taste his cake? It was deli..."
A powerful light shone over them, interrupting his speech. It grew even more intense, and Reynir had to close his eyes. When he managed to open them again there was a woman by the tree, with a dog in her arms.
Reynir ran there as fast as he could. He saw that his Fylgja had been through a hard time. It was much thinner, had many bruises and its fur was missing in some spots.
"Hello Reynir."
"Anne, you came! It's so good to see you!" He caressed the dog's head. "What happened?"
"You are very lucky for having such a brave and strong guardian. Most wouldn't have survived, however this one just needs some time to heal."
"I wanted to help, but..."
"Welcome! Anne, I presume. I'm your host. Please make yourself comfortable."
Anne wasn't exactly enchanted by the soft talk. "Host, so you say. Nevertheless from what I've heard you act like a captor."
"They are all safe and happy. Even Reynir is enjoying his time here." He replied, putting a hand over Reynir's shoulder and winking mischievously at him.
"The beauty of an illusion doesn't turns it in reality, young man." Anne put the dog gently on the ground. "Please, come with me. I can show you the path, as I did to many before."
She extended an open hand to him. "Aren't you tired? I was so tired to be trapped in this World, knowing that my place was elsewhere. Aren't you tired of this charade?"
"Tired... Yes, I'm so tired... I'm really tired of you people telling fairy tales about some paradise beyond the clouds!" Now Reynir could see that fiery look in his eyes.
"So there's a benevolent God up above, ready to embrace our souls? Yet He lets this World, His creation, turns into Hell? All that suffering... over innocent children! How can that be understood?" Now he was yelling. "No, it's all a lie, I tell you. All a big fat lie!"
They all stood silent for a while. Then Anne sighed. "You want to understand? I wish one day you can. I wish I could. We're just grains of sand on a beach where waves come and go, ruled by the balance of forces much greater than anything that our imagination can encompass." She opened her arms wide. "This, all this World, is under the water of a bigger wave, but we can be sure that in time it will recede. It's a tough time, but we must do our best, and never let hope die."
"Beautiful speech, madam, but I'm not impressed. Hope died in this place a long time ago."
"Yet you created this Christmas scenery, a celebration of hope! Yes, hope! Why do you think our ancestors celebrated in the darkest of the days? They believed it was the end of a cycle, and the beginning of a new one where they hoped, beyond all their doubts and fears, that things would be better. That's the essence of hope. As once a poetess wrote2."

"Hope" is the thing with feathers --
That perches in the soul --
And sings the tune without the words --
And never stops -- at all --

And sweetest -- in the Gale -- is heard --
And sore must be the storm --
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm --

I've heard it in the chillest land --
And on the strangest Sea --
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb -- of Me.

"Beautiful! I must write it down somewhere, or maybe put it on the wall." He said sarcastically. "I'm still not convinced, old lady."
"But we are."
Reynir looked around. They were all so entertained with the conversation that he haven't noticed all the others gathering around them. They were surrounded by all the children, with his friends behind them.
Their host clearly wasn't expecting it. "What? What are you doing here? This is an... adult talk about important things! Go back! Play with your new friends!"
An older kid stepped forward. "We know what's happening, and won't be fooled anymore."
"But how..." And he gave Onni a hateful look.
A giant rock materialized in the air right above Onni, and started to fall.
But the rock suddenly became a thousand colourful butterflies. "This is our dream too, and you won't hurt anyone."
Then a girl spoke. Samy, Reynir recalled. "Don't blame Onni. We, the older ones, already suspected that something was amiss. We would find the truth soon."
"All I wanted was to protect you!"
"We know." Said the boy. "And we are grateful for that. But now is the time to choose. We have been offered a chance to move forward, and we want to take it."
"You believe in those fairy tales because you are just children. You are safer here, with me."
Samy walked to Anne and held her hand. "Sorry, brother, we already made our choice."
Anne touched a branch with the other hand.
The tree was engulfed by a pillar of light that raised in the sky, illuminating everything as it was day. Up above it created an impressive display of northern lights, more intense than anything Reynir witnessed before.
The children started to walk towards the light.
"Brother, please, come with us."
"No!" A wall appeared on their way, just to be turned in a cloud of dandelions, easily dispersed by the soft breeze. "No, don't go! Don't leave me!" He fell on his knees.
Reynir's anger against the man was fast replaced by pity. "Go with them! Don't be a fool. You are slowly fading, can't you see? You can't already remember your own name! If you stay you will vanish someday, or go mad. Just go with your family."
"No! They can go if they want, but I'll stay!"
One by one the children were disappearing into the light, until the only one left was Samy. She kneeled in front of the man. "Brother, please come. I don't want to go without you."
He just shook his head. She embraced him and pointed to the light. "Look, all the others are gone. Please, Peter, come with me!"
A moment passed, and then he looked at her. "P... Peter?"
"Yes, silly! That's your name! Do you really want to stay and forget about everything, even about me?"
He put his arms around the girl and sobbed. Nobody spoke, and a tear rolled down Reynir's face.
After a few minutes Peter raised and took Samy's hand. As they approached the column of light Anne patted lightly Peter's shoulder, smiling. "I promise, you won't regret your choice."
Before the final step Peter stopped and looked back. "Reynir, Onni, I'm sorry. All I wanted was to protect you all. Thanks, and I hope at least you enjoyed Christmas."
Reynir woke up with a strange feeling. Was somebody calling his name?
He sat on the bed, looked around and rubbed his eyes. Where was everybody? The cabin was empty!
"Reynir! Come on!"
It was Mikkel, calling from outside! He dressed as fast as he could and ran, leaving the cabin. It's a clear and warm day. His friend were finishing packing. "Come, let's eat. Than we have some bears to hunt."
While eating everybody was commenting about some strange dreams. They just had faint memories of random moments. Those memories were fading fast, but everybody agreed they are pleasant ones.
While the others made their final preparations Reynir managed to be alone with Onni. "So, do you remember the dream or not?"
"Of course I remember everything. We could be trapped in that forever. But you and your friend Anne did well, and we were lucky that the children were able to understand the situation."
"But since when you was aware?"
"Since you slapped me with your braid. That really hurt!"
"But you haven't told me anything until the end!"
"That man was hearing everything, so I did my part, waiting for an opportunity. It arrived when he got... distracted by your romantic adventures. When I finally sensed that he wasn't listening I was able to make my move and talk to the older children."
"I see. I'm glad we're out of it."
"Just prey to your gods that I'm always around to save you and the rest of the flock. Now, about you and Tuuri..."
"I know, I know. She's here just for a while."
"Good that you understand. Oh, and beware, you owe me a slap! And I intend to collect it as soon as I can."
Later, as Reynir sat in the small boat on their way to Joensuu, he saw Tuuri, in her bird form, land on his hand.
"Reynir, did you also had strange dreams last night?"
He wondered what she could remember. "Yes, very strange. What do you recall?"
"It's all clouded, but I have this strange memory of dancing with you! But we never danced! First it was fast, a Humpaa, and later some slow tune."
"And is that all you remember?"
"I remember that it was good, very good, and that I really enjoyed being with you. And you, how's your dream?"
"Ah... Mine? Well, I can't remember much... But you was there, and we had a lot of fun!"
"We always had fun together, right? I mean... when we weren't in mortal danger." She seemed sad.
"Hey, don't be sad. Who knows what awaits us? Maybe we will have some more chances to be together."
"Yes, you're right. I thought that my story already ended, and look where I am!"
Reynir touched her head gently, and she chirped with joy.
Then she flew to his shoulder, gave him a soft peck and, to his surprise, began singing something in Finnish.
Reynir was able to recognize just one word, toivoa.
Hope.

The End

Footnotes:

1: A type of traditional music from Finland. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humppa)
2: Hope is the thing with feathers. by Emily Dickinson

As you, dear reader, probably noticed, this story happens in the night the team slept in the Lehto. They go to sleep on page 348 of adventure 2 (http://sssscomic.com/comic2.php?page=348) and are back to Joensuu on the next day at page 356. Onni collects his SLAP some time later, at page 377 (http://sssscomic.com/comic2.php?page=377)

Thanks for all for the kind words about the previous parts! :) I love to write stories for you, my friends!
And thank you Wave, for organizing this! It was fantastic!
May we all have a time of renewed hope in the end of this hard year.
Butter Good! :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 06:50:28 AM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #217 on: December 25, 2020, 09:50:52 PM »
*applause* Bravo!  A wild ride, my dear grey one, but well worth it ! 
Mikkel as a flawless dancer,  eh?   
Thank you again!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #218 on: December 26, 2020, 12:40:50 AM »
Grey, this is heartrending and beautiful!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #219 on: December 26, 2020, 06:16:40 AM »
Ooo Grey! What a surprising, beautiful and profound story! Especially Peter’s and Anne’s exchange about the possibility of existence of God in the Christian sense is impressive. I am personally more a spiritual than a religious person, but it resonates with me ans I’m sure Peter’s doubts echo the thoughts of many during this difficult year, and any year in the middle of all the strife and sadness that riddles our world.

The first part was funny, the second part scary and the finale is deep and a little bittersweet. Did you say you started this only after you had drawn the picture? Wow, just wow!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #220 on: December 26, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »
Thanks grey for a wonderful story! Nicely tied to canon events, too. Don't worry about crimes against English, it deserves it, wretched mongrel mess of more exceptions than rules that it is. Your English is worlds better than my grasp of any of the languages I've attempted to learn! It certainly didn't distract from the excellent story.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #221 on: December 26, 2020, 03:09:49 PM »
Thank you so much, my friends! I'm so happy that you liked my mad humble attempt at writing!

Sorry for not commenting more on so many amazing works, but I will, and will post here but also send my comments by PM to each author.

Back to the story...

Wave, Mikkel as a flawless dancer may have three explanations:
1 - It's a dream, so we get a lax implementation of common laws of physics
2 - It's a dream, so Mikkel's desires have an influence over it
3 - It's a dream, but none of the above apply and this is another clue that Mikkel is hiding his cards and probably is a secret agent in disguise, a theory that has some fans among Minnions, myself included :)

Róisín, I hope the heartrending in not too intense ;) but I'm happy that it touched you. It touched me too.

Jitter, yes, I'm sure that many questioned how so many bad events can happen, particularly those that affect innocent people. It's been a recurring interrogation, even among very religious people and theologists, for centuries, with growing intensity when very bad things happen, like wars, natural disasters and, of course, plagues... I'm glad that it resonated in you because it deeply resonated in myself.
Anne, as a member of the clergy, provides a vision that I've heard, in different forms, from religious people that are humble enough to avoid dogmatic explanations, but also one that I believe is compatible with a reality where multiple religions coexist and are simultaneously valid.

I really wrote the story in 8 or 9 days, stealing every bit of time that I could (and some that I shouldn't ;)  ) because there's an obsessive writer living inside me, and sometimes the muses show up, making almost impossible to resist. It was hard, but incredibly fun! :)

I also struggled to keep the tone in harmony with the season, avoiding some dark paths that I didn't felt as appropriate, and tried to keep the focus of the story, that is the perception of this time as a moment of hope despite the hardships felt on previous times (like this terrible and complicated year).

Vulpes, tying the story with the canon was also fun, but wasn't something that I searched for since the beginning. It was more like seizing an opportunity that somehow showed along the process. You know, just to make it even harder... :)
And later I got the gift of Mikkel slapping Reynir on page 377, which happened 1 or 2 days before I wrote that part, allowing me to create another link with the main story through the picture that inspired it. I'm lucky or not? :)

Also I'm very glad that my hideous crimes mistakes didn't prevent enjoying the story!

Thank you all! You are the best readers I could have dreamed of!

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #222 on: December 26, 2020, 03:44:50 PM »
Oh, Grey, that story was amazing! The set-up was incredible (I nearly shed a tear at the host and his family´s backstory), and like Jitter these questions resonated with me too.

And yes, that slap was a really nice coincidence. :'D
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie: